Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shasta Snow Trip Official Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 447, 448, 449 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

18???

That'll be a badass trip!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2 Reply with quote

Safe Travels!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sideshow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

For me it was just another epic SST adventure.
As a whole the mood was down a little due to early setbacks like the lose of a bus/ER visits, day long creek setback, and the looming reminder that life is short. I don't do this because it is easy.

Day one; a large group of veterans and newbes heads down the M10 to attempt the East side and circle Shasta south to north. I came very close to taking an epic picture but couldn't quite get everybody in frame. I'm third from the back, followed by Cop Truck and I believe Joe Cool. We are heading far east to the mountains behind Shasta beyond (and not touching) the I5.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Day Two; We came down the hill to a fuel stop near a hot spring before attempting I think highway 89. Again I forget to bring a hot girlfriend/wife and lost interest at the spring challenge, so I went to try an unsuccessful attempt over the M11 to 299 North. Yes there is snow, like every year, but this year both east side groups had issues and turned back at higher elevations.

But never forget, I also survived the two hour wait for food in Shasta, I thinks this elevates me to bad ass.

Viva SST!
zuhaelter_82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

I saw a picture of a passenger side door, and a cargo door in some shrubbery. I am glad that everyone made it out alive. The bus can always be replaced, the people inside cannot. Can't wait for more info about the incident to come to light.
B5 V6 GLS
B7 TDI Passat SE
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

It's awfully quiet here concerning the adventure.

What happened, good and bad, during the weekend? Is everyone alright? Any good/bad news photos and videos? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks, and I hope everyone is well and had a goodtime together!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

SST itself went smoothly, with some interesting new routes on the east side of I5.
There were two significant incidents on the way to the starting point. One team had a very bad rollover accident. Another team were stuck on their own in a creek for 40 hours before we learned of their location and a rescue party went after them.
I would rather the parties involve tell their own stories if they choose to.
It was a sobering reminder of how dangerous it can be on those remote mountain roads.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

My new bus this year:

60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

Saw the story and pics about the wreck during the SST trip, posted on Bus Trippers facebook page. Looks gnarly and glad everyone survived ok without any major injuries.
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

I ditto the above post after seeing the bus and ravine on Bus Trippers. Could've been so much worse. Glad everyone is ok.
'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

I as well as some others aren't on "the Facebook thingee", so if anyone could post up a link that we could use to view the "Bus Trippers" page, that would be appreciated. I'm so glad to hear that no one was hurt badly. How about the condition of the Bus? I can't wait to hear whether there were seat belts onboard, whether they were used, and how well they helped keep the occupants from harm...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

you don't need to be on the face book to see pages or images

I just highlighted text from the above post [Bus Trippers facebook page] and voila.. majik of g00gle https://www.facebook.com/VWBusTrip/
Pics page:
https://www.facebook.com/VWBusTrip/photos_stream?ref=page_internal
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

What a righteous paint mural joe cool.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
you don't need to be on the face book to see pages or images

I just highlighted text from the above post [Bus Trippers facebook page] and voila.. majik of g00gle https://www.facebook.com/VWBusTrip/
Pics page:
https://www.facebook.com/VWBusTrip/photos_stream?ref=page_internal

Thanks for hooking up the luddites, looks like it was an absolutely epic adventure aside from the mishap.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
What a righteous paint mural joe cool.

Thank you. The hippies were all too stoned that day so I got some gypsies to paint it instead.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

Also, we are going back this weekend to retrieve the rollover bus. "No bus left behind" is the motto of SST and we intend to keep it that way.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

My split window bus is almost ready. Shasta here I come.

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

Oh hell yes! I will buy all your drinks at the Shasta city bar if you pilot that beast on the trip.
badfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

Hey all. Do we have dates for SST XVII yet? We missed last year and definitely wanna make sure to make it in 2017. We only get to see some of you on the trip....Working on a 1776 SP for DD and should have it buttoned up this weekend, then need to break in/test.
60/66 Baja "Diablo"
73 Baja Dottie
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

Sorry to have missed you guys last year. SST this year will go right back to the way it's always been run... the days just before Super Bowl weekend. Team Kombisutra will be solidly dug-in back here in Afghanistan and will again have to enjoy the chaos from over here. Super Bowl Weekend. I'll get the dates changed on this thread soon.
badfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt. Shasta Snow Trip - Thursday, February 11th - 14th, 2016 Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
Sorry to have missed you guys last year. SST this year will go right back to the way it's always been run... the days just before Super Bowl weekend. Team Kombisutra will be solidly dug-in back here in Afghanistan and will again have to enjoy the chaos from over here. Super Bowl Weekend. I'll get the dates changed on this thread soon.

Thanks Bryan. Sorry we missed you this round.
60/66 Baja "Diablo"
73 Baja Dottie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 447, 448, 449 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
Jump to:
Page 448 of 453

Jump to: