Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rattle can primer (Which on to use)
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Ben Gun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Rattle can primer (Which on to use) Reply with quote

Which primer should I use while Im trying to chase exterior rust. Paining is down the road a few months . Rattle can primer who's is best.
Monsterbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None! Sorry to be a downer, but rattle can primer is no-no when trying to stop rust. If anything it accelerates rust, as it sucks up moisture and holds it to the car body. It has virtually no durabilty unlike some of the professional primers out there (DPLF, etc.)

If you a planning on painted the car down the road, you'll want a good primer. A paint job is only as good as whats underneath it. Now that being said, if you want a rattle can your car temporarally, I suggest Krylon. Just get one of the flat colors and it will look like primer but give you a bit more protection. Of course, it will have to be sanded off when its time to paint. Whatever you choose, don't use Rustoleum. It seems nothing works with Rustoleum except other Rustoleum products (which can cause trouble if its not all removed before painting). Hope this helps.
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree,.primer is an eyesore,worse then the rust.
i would sugest to either fix the rust, POR it or leave it be untill you are ready to address it.
i've had some give me some remarks aboout rust, but i won't touch it till i'm ready to do the job right and completely.
sometimes it's all just a waiting game untill you have all the parts you need to not only start,but finish.
also remember,. anything tempory will eventually have to be removed when doing it right.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my .02:

i'd say use masterseries CT....clean up the rusty areas and apply product...it is easier to sand than comperable products (according to the manufacturer), take less prep than POR-15, and is thinner than rustbullet (4mil compared to 6mil)...plus it just brushes on...and its the cheapest!

when it comes time to prep. for paint, your rust/pinholes etc. has already been treated and you can sand smooth, and go straight to surface prep for painting....

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Az1967CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rattle cans do not provide enough primer to cover and fill.

Sherman Williams makes a great primer, but its only for spots.

Other primers will cause your paint to lift when applying..

rattle can primer and automotive paints.. do not mix!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
willz0072002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: u-pol primer works great...but not with rust..zero rustworks Reply with quote

pricey..at 15 per can though
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well your average store bought primer isn't best for long term body work. But there are professional grade primers available in rattlecans. Go to your auto paint store, they can mix any paint into rattle cans for you. But they do cost alot more then justbuying the primer and painting it with a gun.
willz0072002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: d Reply with quote

i wasnt talkin bout store bought- paint store rattlecan called Upol as well as transtar etching primer works great...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Levonbenelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92458

this thread talks about a rattle can primer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: