Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many of you were BMX'ers? Something you should know...!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmx is the shit! thats all i have to say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kiwi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my flatland machine.A SickChild Pathogen.Only one of its kind made.4130 hand made in USA.76* head tube,19" top tube,euro bb,Empire freecoaster-one of only 50 made.Peregrine super pro rims,Chris king head sealed set.Dylan Ryal bars,Bizhouse stem,Old GT show forks.
I beleive Gary Turners (GT in GT bikes)company made it.He makes fuelers now or something.
I love this bike.
Wish I had've kept all my old frames and stuff.Hutch trrickstar etc.Ive got Keven Jones Dorkin' in York 4 Tshirt though,thats a keeper.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Kiwi on Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh geeze, I feel old. Any body remember the Orange Krate? Well I didn't have one, 6 kids in the family and I was lucky to have a J.C. Higgens. So I cut the forks off another bike and hammered em on. Put a 20" wheel on the front of a 24" bike. Got some ape hangers somewhere else. Painted that puppy black and I was rat biking! Cool

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kiwi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing a Redline forklifter number plate on ebay go for $1600,couldnt beleive it!!Crazy.
Livens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, All my bikes came from target or walmart
Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubyah73 wrote:
Oh geeze, I feel old. Any body remember the Orange Krate?
Bill

I had an Apple Krate. Shit, those are worth some big money now.
I had taken it apart and it was in a box waiting for me to do something with it when my oldest brother tossed it in the trash. This was back in '84 or so.
I had a Torquer II. Funky twin main tubes that you had to buy special pads for in order to race ABA. Got that stolen from in front of a convenience store 15 seconds after getting off of it.
Also had a Univega... something. They were just getting into BMX I think. I beat the crap out of it on the street more than the dirt all around Mystic, CT back in the mid-80's.
bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
15 windowdelux
Samba Goober

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to hijack this thread, Skate board magazines!!!! Remember the Lords of Dogtown movie? I had several of the issues of the skateboard magazine that alot of the movie used, Tony Alva in the pool, the concrete drain pipes they skate in, etc. Couldn't find them, the last time I was home, asked mom to look for them but I bet they are gone. I bet they would be worth big bucks on ebay also.
Carlin's "Seven words you can't say on television"????
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe what some of that old school BMX stuff is going for. Late last year I scored a 24" Schwinn Predator from a guy who bought out the odl schwinn shop. Thats when I got online and started seeing the prices this stuff is going for! I rode mostly from '82-'89, first the racing and then on to freestyle. The bike I miss the most was my last one, SE Racing Quadangle, white w/chrome standing gear forks. Had the whiteTuff II's with Comp III tires. I busted my ass mowing lawns so I could get that set of Redline 401 cranks. Those were good ol' days when you were young and just had to do so little to get what you want.
Crazy thing, my 24" schwinn weighs about 9 lbs less than my 12 yr old daughters 20" mongoose. Whatever happened to making the bikes as lite as possible?
Kiwi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whatever happened to making the bikes as lite as possible?

Good quaility bikes are pretty light.But not as light as back in the day.
The level of riding has gone through the roof since the early eighties.So the bikes had to be built to hold up to the abuse.
Back then alot of bmx manufactures made there frames out of US cromoly,now its mostly chinas 'equivalent'.heavier and not as strong as US mil.spec 4130.
Alotta riders are going back to lighter bike parts,36 spoke wheels instead of 48s,2pce bars,thinner wall tubing/smaller OD.It kinda went too weak-80s,over built-90s and now...about right.
Oh,yeah,those redline cranks were the shit.I liked the SEs too.Quads,PKs.Floval Flyer.I had a Redline RL20 II.That was strong.triple butted down tube.etc
blarneyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was in my early teens I was building BMX bikes out of the old stingray bikes (banana seats). Used to ride them off cliffs in the local gravel pit. Took some pretty good spills. Never wore a helmet and came out without any serious dain bramage Laughing
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good old memories. Back in 4th-6th grade elementary (1982-84) I begged my parents for a Diamondback Silver Streak. Rode that thing everywhre. Z-rims, Beartrap pedals, Seca plates, Shimano brakes etc...
I remember reading BMX Action back in those days with freestylers Mike Buff & RL Osborne. Who remembers those guys and what happened to them? Who remembers Nicole Kidman's first movie "BMX Bandits"? Oh yes, memories........
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Kiwi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I remember that goofy movie,funny.Nicole kidmans big hair.
I dont know what happened to mike buff,but RL osbourne went bust towards the end of his riding days,started a carpet cleaning biz in redondo I think,now has some kind of Harley shop.which hes had succesfully for a while now,so I heard??Alot of those guys made big bucks back then,$100 g's + a year.Alot for being 18/19!
Banzai KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
I remember reading BMX Action back in those days with freestylers Mike Buff & RL Osborne. Who remembers those guys and what happened to them? Who remembers Nicole Kidman's first movie "BMX Bandits"? Oh yes, memories........

Good friend of mine used to be a BMX Freestyler, now he's a SF Bay Area radio news reporter for KGO radio news.
My friend "Rob Artigo" used to team up with Ron Wilkerson as the 2-Hip Trick team and also compete in the "King of the Skateparks" series.
I also remembering since Rob didn't have a car to go to Ron & Stacey Wilkerson's wedding in Antioch, I had to drive him to the wedding. Got to meet Bob Haro, Mike Dominquez, Mike Bluff, Eddie Fiola, Brian Blyther, and many other top freestylers there.
Check out the pics from Rob's BMX Freestyle scrapbook: http://www.robartigo.com/scrapbook.html
V.V.W.C.A. - Golden Gate Chapter: http://www.ggcvvwca.org/
B.L.T.N. (Better Late Than Never) late model VW Club (San Jose/Santa Clara, CA): https://www.facebook.com/groups/bltnvw/
NorCal Aircooled Group (NAG) Facebook Goup: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NAGVW/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whutdidyousay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothin about BMX, but I remember one of my bikes and wonder if it was just a knock off..... has anyone here ever heard of a DG BMX bike?.... I had one given to me by a BMX race nut in my old hometown.... traded it straight across for a Diamond back something or other that was 2 weeks old..... I thought my bike was a POS, but the other guy didn't.

danke meine Freunde

I'm tryin to build a dream one piece at a time, just bear with me.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kiwi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My friend "Rob Artigo" used to team up with Ron Wilkerson as the 2-Hip Trick team and also compete in the "King of the Skateparks" series.
I also remembering since Rob didn't have a car to go to Ron & Stacey Wilkerson's wedding in Antioch, I had to drive him to the wedding. Got to meet Bob Haro, Mike Dominquez, Mike Bluff, Eddie Fiola, Brian Blyther, and many other top freestylers there.

That was a cool era of freestyle.Wilkerson had a bad crash back in the late 80s.Was in a coma for weeks.A friend of mine saw the accident,said he was laying unconcious,face in a puddle of blood.16ft to face,no hands out nothing.A couple of my friends went on tour with him and he ripped them off.Shadey dude.They cut his red,white n' blue 'george clinton' dreads ( Shocked )off in brookyn and hand cuffed him to a lamp post!
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my bikes were mountain bikes or small dirt bikes, engines are faster than legs Laughing

my Bro was in to this BMX stuff for the longest time then joined the orchrestra and got up to #2 cello so he was stopped the biking but he still has the bike that he put like a grand into. now he's just into car stereo, beer and screwin' chicks, AH the life a college guy Smile

'72 Ghia: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146/vwdmc17/100_1964.jpg
'72 Honda Z600
'81 Delorean

www.EVILGENIUSRACING.com
FlatBlack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still ride everyday. It is pretty much my life.
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
I used to have this crazy mongoose my parents got me. Anybody seen one? It's just like a 20" BMX but the head and center posts were stretched up for a taller kid. It was all chrome and Blue anodized. Bad ass. Wish I still had it. Sad

We called that huge bike the Moosegoose.
TwistdPrez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh...memories. I used to race a Schwinn Sting. Not the Stingray, the factory race bike. Badass. Shimano crank and those big Shimano hexagon pedals (remember those?), Shimano freewheel, Tuff I mags, Tuffneck.....the good old days. Remember "Turbo" harry Leary? Used to race for Diamondback way back when. Thanks for making me feel old. Very Happy
System Msg: VW Vegan was kicked from SambaChat on Today, 7:59 pm
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
Who remembers Nicole Kidman's first movie "BMX Bandits"? Oh yes, memories........

remember "Rad"? Laughing

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: