Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GEX engines
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that GEX doesn't include TS on their links page:

http://www.gex.com/content/links.htm

Of course, about 75% of the links that are there are 404ed or hijacked...

That web site represents GEX perfectly. Pretty on the outside, defective on the inside.
Drag0nHart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a bit late....but to protect yourself...

always pay with a credit card!!

Most Credit cards will allow a charge back to be done if you are not satisfied...and some, depending on the plan, will extend the manufacturers warranty. In most cases you will be required to send back the merchandise..send it COD Smile

Now I generally disagree with practices of the credit card companies...but the ability to do a charge back is one silver lining.

The credit card companies are relentless and they will wring their money back out of the company it was filed against...they will also add a premium onto the amount.. ...too many chargebacks and the merchant account of he company comes under review.
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drag0nHart wrote:

Most Credit cards will allow a charge back to be done if you are not satisfied...and some, depending on the plan, will extend the manufacturers warranty. In most cases you will be required to send back the merchandise..send it COD Smile

Now I generally disagree with practices of the credit card companies...but the ability to do a charge back is one silver lining.

The credit card companies are relentless and they will wring their money back out of the company it was filed against...they will also add a premium onto the amount.. ...too many chargebacks and the merchant account of he company comes under review.

true but "if youre not satisfied is a pretty bad reason to do a chargeback" this practice only makes it harder on some companies and in turn hikes up prices. chargebacks should be the last resort and should not be an option if not satisfied. this opens up the doors to abuse which is already bad enough.
Drag0nHart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

420GOAT wrote:
Drag0nHart wrote:

true but "if youre not satisfied is a pretty bad reason to do a chargeback" this practice only makes it harder on some companies and in turn hikes up prices. chargebacks should be the last resort and should not be an option if not satisfied. this opens up the doors to abuse which is already bad enough.

I think the OP's problems go way beyond not being satisfied...he was ripped off and jacked around.

A similar situation happened to me...allthough not with an engine.

I bought clothes dryer from a well known outlet....turned out to be a total turd...smelled funny when running noisy and unbalanced...It had an "unconditional" I year warranty.

I loaded it into the back of my truck and headed back to the store...this was on the same day I bought it. They didn't want it...they wanted me to wait for a week so a technician could look at it...then another couple of weeks for parts, then another week to get it repaired....my family of 5 would be without a working clothes dryer for a month with all of this nonsense. I had only had the dryer for 2 bloody hours.

I told them about the advertised unconditional warranty and wanted another dryer....they said they couldn't do that...and I had to get the current one repaired. I told them I was dropping it off and taking a picture of doing so, and that I was going to file a charge back and go buy another dryer.

All it took was the words "charge back" and they knew I was not some dope off the street that didn't know better.

They exchanged the dryer...I have had it for 3 years now without any problems.

The charge-back is your friend...use it to protect yourself...but use it sparingly and only in cases where you really need to...you risk having your card canceled if you do it to many times.

If I were the OP of this thread and had used a credit card...I would not have hesitated to file a credit card complaint get my money back.
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEX is the child molester of engine rebuilders. It pretty much doesn't matter what you do to them for retribution, to get even, etc., much less just making sure the unwitting consumer doesn't wind up ripped off in the end. Charge back? Please. What a slap on the hand.
Drag0nHart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart Dunn wrote:
GEX is the child molester of engine rebuilders. It pretty much doesn't matter what you do to them for retribution, to get even, etc., much less just making sure the unwitting consumer doesn't wind up ripped off in the end. Charge back? Please. What a slap on the hand.

but it will get your money back in most cases..in the end, tht is all I would care about..

BTW..I was going to order and engine in the past from these guys...thanx to those that have posted the warnings...
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drag0nHart wrote:
Bart Dunn wrote:

but it will get your money back in most cases..in the end, tht is all I would care about..

BTW..I was going to order and engine in the past from these guys...thanx to those that have posted the warnings...

I was endorsing the charge back. Glad to hear another was saved from the GEX advantage.
juggleaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, this morning I was really excited that my new engine was being put in, and I'd get to drive her in 2 weeks.

NOW you have me worried to death. I have a new 1776cc GEX weight being put in my car, just came in, but it's not in the car yet.

The problem is that my parents have been saving for this engine for months to get my car back on the road, and we don't exactly have the extra money to spend on bullsh*t. So now I don't know what to do. and I'm up at 4:30 in the morning freaking out about it.

I'm checking today to see if the engine does in fact have different numbers on the halves, and if it does I'm considering contacting GEX for a possible refund, though from what I've heard, that should be loads of fun.

Any advice on where to go from here? I'm at a loss, I'm sick to my stomach. This was supposed to be a very happy week. Don't tell me all this crap now.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send it back... it will be cheaper n the long run.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Send it back... it will be cheaper n the long run.

X100. I think it's funny that Glenn said "long run." There are quite a few threads with GEX victims getting only a very short run out of their shiny new GEX.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll concur with that. It's tough to learn the bad news too late to avoid buying, but at least you don't have to put up with the install-fail-remove-argue-fix... thing. Shipping it back to GEX will be far cheaper.
manikmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another GEX testimonial: Purchased a Bus with a PO-installed "new" GEX motor.

Recently had to deal with 4 valves stretching (or seats dropping, or both), two so far gone that they were tight against the rocker with the adjusting screws completely removed.

Upon removal of the rocker assemblies, I found one half of one assembly had two shims, the other locations only one, and three different length push-rods... who knows what mayhem awaits inside the case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long Run, my left hindquarter! You'll be sorry the day you start that pig if my experience is any guide. In 2007 I got a 1641 big-valve rebuilt long block from that fellow. The case halves have different cooling fin patterns and part numbers - the left half starts with 211 and the right half 311! Larry swears the two came on one car from the factory. Cylinders one and three had a total of 100 pieces of compression ring between them and it took 70 ft-lbs of torque to get the heads off. The even-numbered cylinders kept the engine running and the blow-by from the odd-numbered cylinders pushed oil out of the dipstick hole and every other orifice the motor had. Put a set of 1600cc pistons with good rings in and bought new 041 heads for it. Now it runs like a top. The halfling case works like a twin, I've gone 100 mph in my Ghia with that motor. But Larry lied to my face and refused to make right his mistake. Says those aren't part numbers when I send him pictures. Didn't reply when I sent him the pile of compression ring bits.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"HATERS GONNA HATE", Gary's pic says it all. Calling out "stupid" to mechanics and VW owners you've never met is not cool. We're not all experts. I've rebuilt a coupla' hundred VW engines since the mid 70's, and I don't think I know how good or bad another mechanic is by reading a few posts on a forum. I ate 3 engines for 1 customer before I found out he actually WAS racing the car. Didn't matter - a warranty is a warranty is a warranty. We had a handshake agreement for 6 months, unlimited mileage, and my motors didn't live up to that agreement. Rather than eating another one, I refunded ALL the money and wrote it off as experience. Live and die by your reputation as a supplier and a consumer. If GeX can't/won't live up to their end of the handshake, then "ruby" has legal standing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I'm just laughing at the last post as he learned from his mistakes the hard way. You NEVER give a warranty on a racing engine or sand/dunnebuggy engine as they are beat too hell in usage.

Being in the engine building business for many yrs ( 28 ) did learn very early what and what not to do when it comes to a warranty.

A kid that runs his car on the beach sand close to the salt water...has a problem...comes back to the shop and complains of a problem...you can guess what it was.

As for GEX...am familiar with their early operation in Baldwin Park Calif way back when I first started VW engines building in the late 1960's as I lived a couple miles away in Covina.

Problem as it stands is the quality of cores that are being returned in exchange. Who knows how many times a engine was rebuilt or how many miles were on the engine case or how it was used...your guess.

They cannot perform miracles and that is what peope expect when purchasing a GEX engine.

I know from personal experience what they are going thru on the other hand I never threw out junk as they apparantley have according to some posters.

My name and reputation was on the line and during my yrs did eat a few of the returned cores...all part of the business...good and bad.
vwfanatic67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont agree at all with the last post. If a core is not usuable dont use it. Any experienced engine builder can check a core over enough to know if it is going to work or not. Why would you build a motor with it anyways? Besides this is all they do.

SBS #74
52 Split Beetle
60 Panel
65 Notchback
More if my wife would let me!
GeorgeO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubydasilva wrote:
Hey Icy let me make it easier for you to understand my problem it seems to me it is over your head.
1.purchased 2110cc engine from gex with 2 yr warranty
2.it was installed by kam motors in dec 03
3.because of missing tin,wrong air filters,and other problems the engine was not installed untilled january 0f 04
4.when we test drove the car we noticed a small drips of oil,we contacted Gex and they suggested I break in the engine first and see if the leaking stops.It was very cold and the gaskets may have been affected.
5.When the weaher got better I did as Gex wanted and drove the car about 500 miles.
6.oil leaks became worse and the engine lost oil pressure when hot.
7.Informed Gex and they agreed to have it professionally diagnosed by Kam motors.
8.My mechanic has done all the tests Gex wanted and now they are refusing to pay the bill.
9.engine is not repaired because Gex is not willing to pay for the bill so now I have to take other measures to get my money back and get Gex to approve the repairs neeeded.If they want the engine back they can have it!

If you still do not understad my problem then God help you!!!

GEX is not the same company when it left its' Mexican mechanics who were second to none in Los Angeles. When they relocated to the Mid-West, their mechanics stayed behind. I have bought from GEX before their move and their engines were really good. Now I don't know and just rely on other vendors for a motor. Rimco in my opinion, is the best in the LA basin.
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It amazes me that GEX is still in business. I steer my customers away from them whenever possible.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeO. wrote:
rubydasilva wrote:
Hey Icy let me make it easier for you to understand my problem it seems to me it is over your head.
1.purchased 2110cc engine from gex with 2 yr warranty
2.it was installed by kam motors in dec 03
3.because of missing tin,wrong air filters,and other problems the engine was not installed untilled january 0f 04
4.when we test drove the car we noticed a small drips of oil,we contacted Gex and they suggested I break in the engine first and see if the leaking stops.It was very cold and the gaskets may have been affected.
5.When the weaher got better I did as Gex wanted and drove the car about 500 miles.
6.oil leaks became worse and the engine lost oil pressure when hot.
7.Informed Gex and they agreed to have it professionally diagnosed by Kam motors.
8.My mechanic has done all the tests Gex wanted and now they are refusing to pay the bill.
9.engine is not repaired because Gex is not willing to pay for the bill so now I have to take other measures to get my money back and get Gex to approve the repairs neeeded.If they want the engine back they can have it!

If you still do not understad my problem then God help you!!!

GEX is not the same company when it left its' Mexican mechanics who were second to none in Los Angeles. When they relocated to the Mid-West, their mechanics stayed behind. I have bought from GEX before their move and their engines were really good. Now I don't know and just rely on other vendors for a motor. Rimco in my opinion, is the best in the LA basin.

There's plenty of posts dating back to well before the move to suggest that they were putting out shitty products even when in Baldwin Park, Calif.

However, the caveat is at one time they were putting out decent engines; I know a buddy of mine had a GEX 1641 with hydraulic lifters in his '68 Bus that he drove the wheels off of. That was a motor purchased circa early to mid '90s... things have gone way downhill since then.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem isn't the mechanics, it's the management. Because I didn't know any better I bought a GEX engine from their SoCal location for my wife's bug. It didn't last long and I'm still waiting for the Bentley or Muir manual that they were offering as a thrown-in bonus but which were on permanent "back order."

My personal opinion is that the move was primarily to get further away from dissatisfied customers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: