Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

shotty job
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddyvol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: shotty job Reply with quote

I have a '64 beetle that I recently purchased. It looks like it has been painted in the last few years. The paint job looks like a one stage paint, no clear. Who ever painted this car needs to be strung up and hanged. The fender beading, glass rubber, and all other rubber was just painted over! Also under both rear quarter glass is what looks like a half arse bondo job. The front hood looks like it was pelted with baseballs. The entire paint has sanding marks in it, like it was wet sanded with a DA or orbital sander with a large grit.

Here's my idea. I would like to get this car looking more decent. I wonder if removing and replacing all of the trim and rubber would be a mistake?

Also I am thinging of wet sanding the car with 1000 grit, the 1500 grit, then buffing with a 3M compound.

The Bondo under the quarters needs to be cut out and new metal needs to be welded in. I think I could do that.

Am I way off?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very careful when you remove the trim/seals. You may actually pull the paint to the point of peeling it.

You may want to start on an small section, like the rear turn signals. I would take an utility knive with a new blade and following the contour of the seal cut the paint all around (both sides of seal. After removing teh light assembly I would then do the bumper, running board, and fender beading.

before sanding I would try washing the car and doing a dual stage buffing with a heavy compound and then a polishing compound. If I am satisfied I would do the rest of the car and then wax it.

Good luck, the work you are embarking upon is very time consuming.
E-boyz67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something that you'll will have to think hard,because if you're going that far just to make it look half decent are you keeping the car? Also in the future do you plan to restore it correctly? If so why spend the money twice,do it right the first time. You say that you can do the job so thats good because you can save yourself some money for parts or materials. Most of all you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that your ride is done the way you wanted it to be,and you did the work. Just some food for thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stevie Fierce
Samba Landscaper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure you'll get some peeling when you remove the rubber pieces but i think as a whole.........the car will look improved. not a show car by any stretch but definitely an improvement. 2 years ago i bought an OG paint 67 from cali and it was DULL. big time DULL! it has its share of dents, scratches, etc. but instead of doing a complete pro paint job, i wheeled it out, (very lightly), glaze, wax. the car is far from perfect but it looks 1000 times better. actually respectable! a little different from your scenario but same sort of thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: