Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any Good Bodyman/woman Please respond Simple Type 1 Question
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Any Good Bodyman/woman Please respond Simple Type 1 Question Reply with quote

My Dilemna.
I live in Michigan(Rust Capitol) but am from Arizona (spoiled)..
I had a supposed cherry stock 67 Bug shipped up to me and found that the car had been slightly tapped in the rear. Enough that the left rear bumper mount thats welded to the inner fender is not parallel to the body. seems to be pushed in a bit and there are some slight creases to the inner fender wells.. Both rear fenders seem to line up well when bolted to the car. Is it possible that a reputable non-VW Body shop should be able to pull the rear and in turn straighten the bumper mounts up? I really do not want to get into cutting the whole rear section of the car off and replacing it as I did find and purchase a new German rear apron only and that was hard and expensive enough to find. I want this car to be 100% as I've already gotten my Berg 5 speed and Matching Motor ready for it... But this Rear Body problem really has me wondering what to do... Should I scrap the whole body and find a better one? This one is cherry minus the rear problem....
ANY Help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated... I trust VW Heads but not the yahoos around here...
Happy Holidays...
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Retard Reply with quote

Oh Yeah, I just plain hate Body Work.... I can paint just fine but Body work especially when it comes to pulling dents and straightening things go,, I am a complete Retard....
CymonSez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be fixed by a shop that has a good frame guy. Just make sure the bumper and fenders are still on the car in the original spot (crash location) cus they will need to see how it was hit so they can reverse the process. A really good frame guy can just pull it and have it be as good as new and un-noticable
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be a problem... as The cars Bumpers were replaced as were all brackets.... Thats why I didn't notice any damage prior to recieving the car. From all photos I had I couldn't tell it had been hit but once it got here It was obvious. I think I'll give my local body shop a try and see if they can handle it.... I don't see why not as long as they are true pro's....
I just can't see how it would be that difficult if you have the knowledge and the proper tools.. which I have neither... SO I pay instead...
happy hoppy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is no big deal for a good body shop to fix.
and you don't need a RACK to do this either.
remove the fender, set the parking brake and chock the wheels.
put a come-along on the inner bumper bracket using a heavy piece of metal, heat the area with a torch while pulling straight back with the come along.
it will straighten out.
smokeyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to do is drill out all the spot welds on the bumper mount and remover them. You should be able to find repros of them. With the bumper mounts off it is easy to straighten out the rest of the sheet metal. As long as you get it fairly straight the bumper should line up. It will all be hidden by the fender and tar boards. You will have to spot weld in the new bumper mounts, or have someone weld them in for you. (will be alot cheaper than body work) Good luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: