Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

can I run HVLP with my compressor? 6.5cfm at 40 psi
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigturkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: can I run HVLP with my compressor? 6.5cfm at 40 psi Reply with quote

Hey,

I just got an amazing deal on a Sata NR2000 and I'll be painting my car soon. I've been using a Husky HVLP gun with my small 13 gallon 6.5CFM at 40 PSI compressor. My husky gun as been working fin when I crank the regulator on the compressor to 50 PSI. What I'm wondering is this: Will I be able to use a my SATA effectively? Am I taking advantage of the HVLP technology at all really. Thanks
BIG MAC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That gun is going to require about 13-14 cfm @ 50lbs. The compressor will not hang on for long, as soon as the pressure starts to drop so will all of the paint atomization.
desrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Mac is right on the money with the cfm rating. You might be better off with a LVLP (low volume:CFM, low pressure) spray gun. There are several out there to choose from but most are higher $$.I have been using the Optima brand which has the Euro 900 which works off 7 cfm at 30PSI.
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bought a really good gun. Now, you need more compressor. A second unit of about 10 cfm in parallel with your current one could be a lower cost option.
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need 14cfm at least for a hvlp gun...12 for non hvlp gun (aka hvlp compliant gun)
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the RP gun from Sata only requires 10.5 cfm. Maybe an option?
ROGER LAWLESS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: SPRAY GUN Reply with quote

GET A NEW COMPRESSOR FROM SEARS. THE ONE FOR $449.00 HAS A GREATER CFM THAN THE ONE FOR $559.00, ABOUT 12-13 CFM AT 50 PSI.

60 GALLON TANK ALSO. YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE A SMALL REGULATOR ATTACHED TO THE GUN TO REALY CONTROLL THE PAINT PRESSURE. 'HOME DEPOT' HAS THEM FOR $14.95, 'HUSKY BRAND.

BIG TROUBLE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE WATER TRAP IN THE SYSTEM ABOUT 10-20 FEET AWAY FROM THE COMPRESSOR. YOU CAN HARD PIPE YOUR SUPPLY LINE IN WITH 'PVC' PIPE. THEN PLACE THE WATER TRAP IN AT THAT POINT THEN ADD A COUPLING FOR YOUR FLEXIBLE HOSE, 50' +, REGULATOR AND GUN.

ROGER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sata rp is at 10.3 cfm @ 29psi....

I got the husky 60 gallon for $429 at home depot ..works great.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy the sata and bolster CFM with a second compressor. if you are painting small parts you dont need the CFM or a large tank. i own a sata NR2000 and i spray engine tin with a sears pancake compressor! thats only a 4 gal. tank, with 5CFM. you can probably spray the fenders of a bug with what you got, but the body of the bug will need more CFM and/ or a larger tank, because you will need to run the gun continously

note about air flow. with HVLP the hose and coupler needs to be 3/8" (with no restrictive swivel fittings). using a regulator on the wall AND the gun will impede air flow, and yet you will need to read 28lbs "at the gun" for proper atomization etc. SO, i omitted the gun regulator and use just a gauge at the gun mounted on a tee fitting.

this requires that you adjust pressure at the wall while looking at the gauge on the gun (with the trigger pulled). there are many who will say that this method makes it hard to change settings without going to the wall regulator. but unless you are a pro with several years experience doing this work day after day, you shouldnt change settings anyway... with some practice you will get a feel for how fast to move the gun, and changing settings will just mess you up and lead to more runs. find a slow setting that wont overwhelm the window frames, and do you whole car on that setting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: