Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi radio
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Espinosa
8 Mile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh cool, i will get after it and finish up in it then, i'll call his ass and finger it out.

i will take pics and post em up once i get it back together, if i remember how.
Wink
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thornton
EMPI Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet!
blue71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Here's another one Reply with quote

I know, I know, I'm digging up an old thread from nearly a decade ago. However this seems like the proper place for these photos instead of making another "what's this ______?" or "has anybody seen this before?" type of thread.

My 67 bug came with a radio that looks pretty much exactly like this one but with different knobs:

Stevie Fierce wrote:
here's a nice couple of pics from the gallery, not in an oval but nice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A.K.A.: "Doc", "Subwoofer Nick", "the LEAKOIL parts whore", "Amish canvas connection"
blue71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Inside an EMPI AM/FM Reply with quote

For those that are curious, this is what it looks like inside. I just took a few photos to see if anything is popped or broken. It all seems to look to be in good shape. The face plate photos are of the back of it, not the black front. They show the part number and that it's not dremel tool cut out to fit so it must be original. I'll migrate photos to thesamba gallery this weekend.

This radio has probably been in the car car longer than I've been alive.

A.K.A.: "Doc", "Subwoofer Nick", "the LEAKOIL parts whore", "Amish canvas connection"
EMPIFLAKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's another one Reply with quote

blue71 wrote:
I know, I know, I'm digging up an old thread from nearly a decade ago. However this seems like the proper place for these photos instead of making another "what's this ______?" or "has anybody seen this before?" type of thread.

My 67 bug came with a radio that looks pretty much exactly like this one but with different knobs:

Stevie Fierce wrote:
here's a nice couple of pics from the gallery, not in an oval but nice.

Sweet ! Thats the correct knobs for your empi radio! Good score bro..

blue71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's another one Reply with quote

EMPIFLAKE wrote:
Sweet ! Thats the correct knobs for your empi radio! Good score bro..

Thanks dude. I didn't know what sort of knobs they were. Just that they are black and the other photo I saw in this thread was chrome knobs.

I'm trying to figure out how to switch between AM and FM but no idea how to do it.

I don't know if there's a hidden switch or since it's such an old radio it continually does some sort of "I'm just going to pick the best station I can get, be it AM or FM."

There's a white/yellow illumination light for the tuner, and then a green circular light that is behind the EMPI logo. The left knob is spring loaded on/off when pushed on etc. Turning the black knob is volume, turning the silver collar is I'm assuming treble because the station I was able to somewhat line up got a bit higher in pitch. The right black knob turning is the tuner. The silver collar is for decoration and does nothing. There are no notches for it to sit in one place like the volume control on the left knob. The brass post has never been apart and still has the original e or c clip in place. I put a few more photos and a video of it up on my bug thread and here they are as well.

For those that are curious, this is what it looks like inside. I just took a few photos to see if anything is popped or broken. It all seems to look to be in good shape. The face plate photos are of the back of it, not the black front. They show the part number and that it's not dremel tool cut out to fit so it must be original.

This radio has probably been in the car car longer than I've been alive.

It works.

Video of static and broken voices below

blue71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The archives don't seem to have the catalog shown here, though my searching could be a bit off:

http://www.webwrench.com/airaccess/empi1970-a.shtml

ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Here's another one Reply with quote

blue71 wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how to switch between AM and FM but no idea how to do it.

I don't know if there's a hidden switch or since it's such an old radio it continually does some sort of "I'm just going to pick the best station I can get, be it AM or FM."

You switch it to FM by pushing on either of the 2 buttons labeled FM, then you can dial it in on the FM channel of your choice. Pull the button out when you want t preset it to the currently dialed in channel and push all the way in.

To get back to AM just push any of the unlabeled buttons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's another one Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
blue71 wrote:

You switch it to FM by pushing on either of the 2 buttons labeled FM, then you can dial it in on the FM channel of your choice. Pull the button out when you want t preset it to the currently dialed in channel and push all the way in.

To get back to AM just push any of the unlabeled buttons.

THANKS TED!!!

bathing ape
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Instructions Reply with quote

Anyone have fitting instructions for empi am/fm radio?
bathing ape
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Instructions Reply with quote

Anyone have fitting instructions for empi am/fm radio?
blue71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my 67 bug the radio was installed from the trunk side and was supported by the typical radio support bracket that was also a ground to the wiper motor bolt. The faceplate was installed after the radio was in the right position, followed by the knobs. The antenna plugs into the larger diameter hole. The blue wire was power to the fuse box and the other two wires that were joined together at the factory were for the speaker.

bathing ape
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent,thank you blue71
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: