Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Affordable Parts
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
duhliterate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Affordable Parts Reply with quote

just got my 64 21-window paid off...woohoo!

i'd like to start puting some money into the actual look of the car. anyone have any ideas of places to go/sites to visit?

im brand new to the community, so im sorry if this is covered somewhere. cant wait to get started! thanks.

duhliterate
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cip1.com and the classifieds are a start... but what are you looking for exactly
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if i'm wrong, but by "the look of the car" it sounds like you want a load off tart up crap to make your samba into a christmas tree on wheels.
If your just looking for bargain alloy wheels, and roofracks,etc then I surjest your prioritys are in the wrong area. Confused

Over the years I have unfortunatly built up a bad image of samba owners, it would be nice to have my theory proved wrong.

There is an amazing ammount of knowledge here, you just have to be a little more specific with your questions.

Here is tip #1, you have a microbus or bus for short, you do not have a car far from it.

Welcome to the forums Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
duhliterate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suppose some hazing is necessary. allow me to provide some of my creds...

vehicles i own:

1964 convertable corvette
1973 vw bug (my first car, i still have it--completely redone and finished...modified stock)
2004 mini cooper
1986 honda elite 150 deluxe--not a car, but a pretty sweet ride

i love my rides...dearly.

i live in a house that was built in 1947...old for california.

what i was describing is on the affordable side of a frame off resto. im not intending to spend $50K on the work up, so id like to find some parts that are fairly priced...not the brazillian stuff, but not necessarily the german stuff either. does that make sense?

my goal with this one is stock modified (not modified stock). i dont intend to return it to factory spec condition, but i want it freshened up...a color i prefer (the og paint was covered before i got to it).

no worries here. i appreciate all things european...im getting a masters in english lit.

hope this clears it up a bit. darren (the duhliterate).
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shop here in the classifieds for nice used stuff or you'll learn quickly that almost all aftermarket parts are junk. I'm sure you know, you are gonna get what you pay for. Any chrome parts will be rust within a year or two, pieces don't fit correctly & so on. Are you machanicaly inclined??...Be honest, as you can see I can't spell Laughing & don't hide it Laughing Just about every part I have purchased that was a copy/remake of a stock part had to be altered to work, or crappy pot metal is used & pot metal is not good for a shift coupler. Buy original parts & put some time into them to make them nice. It will be worth it in the long run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhliterate wrote:

vehicles i own:

1973 vw bug (my first car, i still have it--completely redone and finished...modified stock)
2004 mini cooper

what i was describing is on the affordable side of a frame off resto. im not intending to spend $50K on the work up, so id like to find some parts that are fairly priced...not the brazillian stuff, but not necessarily the german stuff either. does that make sense?

my goal with this one is stock modified (not modified stock). i dont intend to return it to factory spec condition, but i want it freshened up...a color i prefer (the og paint was covered before i got to it).

no worries here. i appreciate all things european...im getting a masters in english lit.

So basically you dont want to buy cheap crap brazilian parts or expensive OG quality german. in the middle of this is a no-mans land, where each part has pros and cons, there is no real rule of thumb here. Sorry to say.
My personal opinion is buy the best you can afford. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhliterate wrote:

vehicles i own:

2004 mini cooper

First of all you dont need to prove shit to anybody here it's your bus you do/buy what you feel looks good on your bus. Try searching the ad here on TS , pick up a magazine look at the ads see what you like. If you have an idea of what you want your bus to look like go to shows take pics ask the owners where they got the stuff your interested in chances are though that the stuff your looking at is OG and came with the bus from the dealer not all mind you. Good luck with finding the "look" that your after.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never really say what you want? Start thinking of the parts you want to buy and then ask opinions on the quality. Do a search first though, a lot of them have probably been covered

For me, I buy in this order:
NOS
Good used original parts, even if they need to be cleaned/refurbished
New w/good reputation
New questionable parts (if no other option)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VintageDreamz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your timing is good. You live in California and the show season is just getting going. You need to make a list of the parts you need (try to list part numbers too), hit the shows and start picking up items off your list. You can usually pick up good, clean OG parts for a decent price if you do a little legwork and you have a prepared list of your needs. Also this gives you a chance to meet and associate with others in the community. Just because they may not have the part laying out for sale that day it doesn't hurt to ask.
Oh, and don't worry about the negativity you first experienced, not all of us that are on the Samba day in and day out have a negative opinion of samba owners.
57 PG SG Standard
66 Slider Standard
62 KG Convertible
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: