Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Annoying Generator Light
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Annoying Generator Light Reply with quote

I searched the forums, and found some very good info.. but not everything I'm looking for.

I drove home the other night in my 61 westy after work (headlights on) and pulled up to my garage. I shut the bus off to use the keys for the garage, went to start the bus, and not enough juice to turn it over. It was the first day out of the year and the bus has been sitting since the beginning of December with an occasional running. The wife and I later had to push it in the garage up a small incline Sad

Anyways... today I took the battery out and gave it a charge. Its at least 3 years old. The water level is *just* under the top of the plates, but I haven't topped it off yet. I put it on the charger at work (50amp!) because thats all I have that charges 6V right now. I took it back home and put it in the bus. I then checked the generator brushes (3 year old gen) and they were tall and fine with good tension on them. I polarized the generator and when I did that it spun over fast and freely. I then hooked everything back up and put my meter on the battery. It read 6.4V.

I then started the bus and the gen light was glowing at idle, even bright at times. I revved it and upon high revs (probably 3000 rpm) voltage at the battery would read up to 7.2V at the highest. At idle it was at 6.3-6.4 volts. When I turn on my headlights it reads 6.1V at idle and no matter how high I rev it the voltage won't go above 6.45V and the generator light glows all the time.

This glowing light annoys the hell out of me. I didn't take apart the regulator because I didn't bring any torx bits home from work, but I believe the generator is charging, just not enough, or maybe the battery is on its way out. This glowing light started last fall.

Any ideas? My old boss is now an Interstate dealer and I think I'm going to buy a 6V Optima battery from him. Its 85 bucks. Could the regulator be at fault here? Any ideas? The entire wiring harness is 2 years old, grounds are all good and clean, soldered headlight switch, but I have yet to solder the fuse box.

Thanks for any input.
Nitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order of increasing cost: Connections, Regulator, Battery, Generator.
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were those voltage numbers checked at the generator or at the regulator?
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Were those voltage numbers checked at the generator or at the regulator?

Those were all taken at the battery. New ground strap and shiny clean connections.
Nitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At fast idle you should get 7.4 to 8.1v. When you turn on the lights the voltage should drop temporarily, but then come back up if the charging circuit is working properly.

If the voltages are more than above, problem is probably with the regulator. If less than above (like it seems in your case) problem probably lies in the generator.

If you replace the generator, you should probably also replace the regulator.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Annoying Generator Light Reply with quote

Flipseat wrote:
The water level is *just* under the top of the plates, but I haven't topped it off yet.

Hi Flipseat,
NEVER EVER DO ANYTHING ELECTRICAL WITH A BATTERY WITH THE ACID/WATER LEVEL INSIDE BELOW THE PLATES!!!! With the plates expose to the atmosphere and the hydrogen being released by the battery a spark from one plate to another can easily ignite the flammable mixture and blow the battery all over the place.
For best battery lifespan only add distilled water.
Check ALL the wiring system for voltage drops.
Eric&Barb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright... I topped off the battery with distilled water so that the plates are just covered. I also did the test on here http://www.geocities.com/aussiebug1970/generator.html for the unregulated generator output, and I am getting 20V. I pulled out my 1955 bus workshop manual, but the only section missing is the generator section Sad I'll have to consult the Bentley at work tomorrow. I also pulled the cover off of the regulator to check the points, and nothing is sticking, so thats good. I'm leaning towards a bum regulator, but I don't have a spare like I thought I did and no parts stores have them, so I'll have to order one or see if a friend has one for me.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipseat,

I recently had the same problem and a new regulator fixed it. It was one of the few easy repairs I've done to my bus! Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light comes on when the voltages on both sides of it are different. One side of the light goes to the battery via the ignition switch, the other goes to regulator terminal 61. Your voltages at the battery of 7.2 above idle (and at the gen unregulated at 20V) are OK so that leaves the regulator or dirty connections along the way. More than likely a slightly flaky regulator. Crying or Very sad One thing to try would be to clean the gen with sandpaper where the regulator mounts and be sure you're getting a good ground there. Good luck!
-Dave
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read your owners manual, it suggests that with a 6V system, the red light dimly glowing at idle is normal. I have also seen 6V buses with the light glowing with the headlights on, that ran fine, and continued to start up. Basically, don't freak out.

However, not all have had this syndrome. Perhaps going through the system, cleaning up connections, and using dielectric grease will help.

edit: Also, if your headlight switch gets warm or hot, it has corrosion inside. Which means it should be taken apart and cleaned up in there. After cleaning up/ dielectrical greasing connections to the headlights on my 53, they became much brighter. Light still glows at idle though.
I think there are scans of owners manual on this site.

Last edited by Clara on Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
If you read your owners manual, it suggests that with a 6V system, the red light dimly glowing at idle is normal. I have also seen 6V buses with the light glowing with the headlights on, that ran fine, and continued to start up. Basically, don't freak out.

However, not all have had this syndrome. Perhaps going through the system, cleaning up connections, and using dielectric grease will help.

I tried to read one of my manuals, but it appears that some pages are missing, the ones I need! lol

The light has been glowing since the trip down to Missouri last Labor Day weekend and I haven't had any problems like this since. I believe that it is charging, just not as good as it should be. I'm going to pop a new regulator on it when I get one and see what happens. The glowing light at night with the headlights on is a little annoying, but I realize that its somewhat normal. What got me is that the bus wouldn't start the other night. Although that too may be somewhat normal, I won't tolerate that Smile

Thanks everyone for all the input... I'll let you all know what happens.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipseat wrote:
The glowing light at night with the headlights on is a little annoying, but I realize that its somewhat normal. What got me is that the bus wouldn't start the other night. Although that too may be somewhat normal, I won't tolerate that Smile

Hi Flipseat,
Glowing light when the headlights are on is definitely a sign of voltage drop in the electrical system. Check the proceedure in the 1963-67 Workshop Manual Volkwagen Transporter, section E-2, page 14. Plus get a multimeter from your local hardware store and check voltage at the battery posts and then throughout the entire wiring system. Solder together the brass clips in each slot of the post-1960 fuse box and the rivets in the pre-1961 fuse boxes. Also check out the type2.com library for the headlight switch rebuild article we helped to write up.
We went from yellow dim headlights, slow wipers, weak signals, with hot headlight switch and hot fuses, to bright white headlights faster wiper and much more noticable signals. With much cooler fuses , headlight switch, cooler wiring around these areas, and no glowing gen light.
Eric&Barb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: