Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Trends Magazine R.I.P.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
Seems to me, as I've suggested before, the more productive approach to suggesting improvements to a product would be to email the producers of said product and establish a productive dialogue rather than put them on blast on a web site.
Hard to e-mail a defunct magazine... in fact, they didn't really seem to care about it's impending demise as it was dying. They seemed happy with their other mags such as teenbeat (or whatever).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
Seems to me, as I've suggested before, the more productive approach to suggesting improvements to a product would be to email the producers of said product and establish a productive dialogue rather than put them on blast on a web site.
Hard to e-mail a defunct magazine... in fact, they didn't really seem to care about it's impending demise as it was dying. They seemed happy with their other mags such as teenbeat (or whatever).

That was more of a suggestion to Foxx, as his remarks seemed to be directed at the remaining magazine, Hot VWs. I didn't clarify that in my last post, though.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
Dave24 wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:

That was more of a suggestion to Foxx, as his remarks seemed to be directed at the remaining magazine, Hot VWs. I didn't clarify that in my last post, though.

i already made my statement to them. i do not buy it.
thats right! i keep my moola in my POCKET.
i don't need to spend my money for another monthly CIP1 catalog with a few tacky articles dropped around them to justify it's publication.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxx wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
Dave24 wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:

i already made my statement to them. i do not buy it.
thats right! i keep my moola in my POCKET.
i don't need to spend my money for another monthly CIP1 catalog with a few tacky articles dropped around them to justify it's publication.

That's all well and good, but IMO last I checked the CIP ad is one page. (EDIT: I stand corrected, a cursory look last night revealed a two-page ad for CIP. My bad) Latest Rage or Pacific Customs or whatever the hell they are called have multipage ads... same idea as to what you're saying about CIP, though, who used to run multi page ads, so it's the same thing.
My point is I think a lot of people might be surprised to learn what it takes to put out a monthly publication if they actually took the time to talk to/email/interact with those that put the magazines together instead of just bash them over the internet.
People talk a lot of shit about Hot VWs, but the same principles apply to any magazine, even the highly-revered European magazines like VolksWorld, Ultra VW and Airmighty.

Last edited by bugnut68 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:

My point is I think a lot of people might be surprised to learn what it takes to put out a monthly publication

it does take a lot. but it doesn't excuse what "I" see as layout bullshit, ad space takes preference over what one buys the mag for in the first place.
it is what caused the downfall of Trends and will prolly be the downfall of HVW's. i get tired of being fed a load of crap and told to like it because it "just costs so much"... when the customer is thought of as equally as the need to sell ads to "keep the cost down" come on equal footing, then i'll think if i'll buy it again.
this is my OPINION.. i might be wrong but again, it's also my money.
i don't need to run after HVW's to "inform them", they have VW Trends playbook and are happily following it step by step.

i told them what i wanted when i kept my money in my pocket.

you can buy an extra copy if my not getting one bugs you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

compare the latest issue of HotVWs with my favorite (and the only one I subscribe to): VolksWorld...

both have ads, but VolksWorld's articles aren't interrupted by ads, it's a larger format, they cover more shows and more types of VW's - not just Type 1 and 2's primarily...

and yes, VolksWorld is expensive to subscribe to, but I think it's worth the difference in price...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
compare the latest issue of HotVWs with my favorite (and the only one I subscribe to): VolksWorld...

both have ads, but VolksWorld's articles aren't interrupted by ads, it's a larger format, they cover more shows and more types of VW's - not just Type 1 and 2's primarily...

and yes, VolksWorld is expensive to subscribe to, but I think it's worth the difference in price...

I agree Dave on Volksworld. I enjoy Ultra also. Much more coverage of later models to my liking. I rec'd my new Hot VW's today, it is one of the weakest issues ever. My bird is even starting to get annoyed.
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
I wish this thread would disappear and RIP like Trends did. Crying or Very sad

Dave,
I almost thought the same thing...then I decide it was better to have all this magazine discussion contained to one thread that I can ignore, rather than spread out among several threads.

JMO.
VWKDF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMByers wrote:
Dave24 wrote:
I wish this thread would disappear and RIP like Trends did. Crying or Very sad

Dave,
I almost thought the same thing...then I decide it was better to have all this magazine discussion contained to one thread that I can ignore, rather than spread out among several threads.

JMO.

Not going so well, huh?
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxx wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:

My point is I think a lot of people might be surprised to learn what it takes to put out a monthly publication

it does take a lot. but it doesn't excuse what "I" see as layout bullshit, ad space takes preference over what one buys the mag for in the first place.
it is what caused the downfall of Trends and will prolly be the downfall of HVW's. i get tired of being fed a load of crap and told to like it because it "just costs so much"... when the customer is thought of as equally as the need to sell ads to "keep the cost down" come on equal footing, then i'll think if i'll buy it again.
this is my OPINION.. i might be wrong but again, it's also my money.
i don't need to run after HVW's to "inform them", they have VW Trends playbook and are happily following it step by step.

i told them what i wanted when i kept my money in my pocket.

you can buy an extra copy if my not getting one bugs you.

No offense intended, Foxx. I respect your opinions and your right to express them. My comments were intended as inflammatory or to suggest otherwise in anyway, but more directed at a lot of the general mudslinging that comes up consistently in threads like these.
I guess my thought was if more people directed their feedback directly to the publication's powers that be, or at the very least engaged in a dialogue with them, perhaps it might be listened to, or at the very least people might be more informed as to the realities of putting a magazine together from the magazine's perspective.
The VW world is a mighty small one, and sometimes it's definitely a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' type of thing. People all the time seem to say there's never anything different in Hot VWs, but as soon as an off the wall custom is featured (I can think of a few in recent years, lol) dedicated threads are sure to follow with "I can't believe Hot VWs wasted ink on that piece of shit" discussions as the focal point.
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

none taken.

it's not the content,.it's the chasing features around so they can be conveniently placed next to ads as you flip from page 42 to page 63 to read 3 paragraphs,then off to page 71 for the final 4paragraphs, like one big infomercial.

at least HVW's isn't doing a feature on how to cook on your motor on the way to the show type BS. but the year is still young.

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Frank, what do you have against #3 exhaust tamales?????

Cool

or laying some tortillas on top of the cylinder tins?

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Hey, Frank, what do you have against #3 exhaust tamales?????

Cool

or laying some tortillas on top of the cylinder tins?

cook em right next to the mouse turds..
Ewwww.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same parent company that owned (and closed) VW Trends at the end also had a bunch of Surfing and Skiing magazines. What a bunch of douchebags those guys were, eh Dave?
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Dave?... If you meant me, then yes, d-bags all the way.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
The same parent company that owned (and closed) VW Trends at the end also had a bunch of Surfing and Skiing magazines. What a bunch of douchebags those guys were, eh Dave?

I think the company has changed hands like two or three times since VW Trends was owned... publisher went from McMullen Argus to Primedia to Source Interlink to who knows what else... gotta love the corporate conglomerate structure. Lol.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to work there, it was McMullen
Then, it became Mc Mullen/Argus
Then, it became K-III

Somebody introduced the Prez of K-III at a meeting once as "The President and CEO of Kill Magazines"
so they changed the name to Primedia.
Now, I understand, they are called Source Interlink Media, or something like that.
There may be one or two names that I forgot, but those were the main ones during the 4 years I was there.
Chuck, if you think the San Clemente bunch was a bunch of D-bags, you should have seen the 774 Placentia bunch... Shocked

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
subwayaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The articles in Ultra VW's are pretty good and I also like that they don't seem to interrupt the article for Ads. I've purchased a few of them since returning to the VW scene. But they are expensive to subscribe to so I get them from Barnes and Nobles for the issues that I happen to like.
hd74cid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I subscribe to Motorcycle Consumer News. Totally subscriber funded. Zero ads. They aren't bought by the advertisers and have no axe to grind. They test crotch rockets and their accessories as what they are. Likewise, the cruiser market such as Harleys aren't compared to the hyper bikes.

A bit pricey but the best mag available for motorcycles bar none.

Shame they can't do the same for Vdubs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: