Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A carburetor question for YOU guys
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: A carburetor question for YOU guys Reply with quote

So I have this generic 34PICT3 carb I am working on, it's been lean on main circuit. Everything checks out, but the discharge nozzle is weird on it. I expect a larger ring at the base and a discharge port, not what I see here. Here is the body and the nozzle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you have one of these units, can you try to take a picture of yours if it is different? This just looks like it must have had a piece pressed in that fell out.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked my Bocar 34 and an original German Solex 34 pict and they are both the same as your carb.

I took pics and if you want them I can post but they are not of the same quality and there is not enough difference to make that a cause.

Just for the heck of it take a 2 inch piece of fuel line and add it to the fuel bowl vent like I did in my turbo project and see if that richens it up any.

You could also try one a bit longer too.if you have the room in the aircleaner. I didn't have room and that is why I only went with the shorty.

I would like to know since it really richened up my main on boost from 18 to 1 lean full load to 9.5 to 1 blubbering rich at full load.
With just that change of all the screwing around I did to try to get more fuel that is what did the trick.
I went from a 180 main lean back down to a 145 main still rich but enough boost and power to rip both my silicon intake boots and slip my clutch.
I am in the process of installing new super boots and a new clutch before I can try again.

Clonebug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and took some better pics......still not great but they do show the piece you want.

Solex34 pict

Ignore the copper tubing insert.
This is a carb I modified for my turbo project. I inserted a piece of copper tubing around the jet port to try to make an auxiliary vent since I remove the original venturi. It will be retested later once I work out the Bocar first.

Bocar 34

I would think that you might see a result with a piece of hose since the theory is that it gives a better atmospheric reference farther away from the venturi.
It is at least worth a try.

Clonebug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
torsionbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ what is that?? i've taken better photos using a potato. if i had a dollar for every pixel in those "photos" i'd have about 50 cents.

[air cooled vw's] are no longer suitable for the general public. The owner has to be be able to maintain the car. And that is after fixing all the deferred maintenance items and ill-conceived modifications. If you can't do those things you are pretty much screwed.
VIN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torsionbar wrote:
^ what is that?? i've taken better photos using a potato. if i had a dollar for every pixel in those "photos" i'd have about 50 cents.

Lmao!

Click to view image
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a picture of the SAME carburetor Clonebug, but thanks. Yours have the lip I am used to seeing.. This one does not, and I suspect it has lost an insert. The lip speaks for a lower entry into the depression zone at the minor diameter and a draft effect at higher air speeds. It makes no sense to have to elevate the float bowl vent, the mixture should be right with the correct jets.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
I just checked my Bocar 34 and an original German Solex 34 pict and they are both the same as your carb.

I took pics and if you want them I can post but they are not of the same quality and there is not enough difference to make that a cause.

Just for the heck of it take a 2 inch piece of fuel line and add it to the fuel bowl vent like I did in my turbo project and see if that richens it up any.

You could also try one a bit longer too.if you have the room in the aircleaner. I didn't have room and that is why I only went with the shorty.

I would like to know since it really richened up my main on boost from 18 to 1 lean full load to 9.5 to 1 blubbering rich at full load.
With just that change of all the screwing around I did to try to get more fuel that is what did the trick.
I went from a 180 main lean back down to a 145 main still rich but enough boost and power to rip both my silicon intake boots and slip my clutch.
I am in the process of installing new super boots and a new clutch before I can try again.

Clonebug

Putting a strange combination of 90 degree bends directly above the carb surely will make it act strange, that is why your tube does something I betcha. Strange setup/strange tuning, whatever floats your boat Wink
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
clonebug wrote:

Clonebug

Putting a strange combination of 90 degree bends directly above the carb surely will make it act strange, that is why your tube does something I betcha. Strange setup/strange tuning, whatever floats your boat Wink

There was a method to my madness.

When I started this turbo build I didn't want to cut my buggy body.... and so far I haven't had to. That is why the intake is shaped the way it is.

I have less in my build with Turbo, MS1, Edis and LM1 than most would pay for a Case and crank.
With it running as high as 13 lbs. of boost on an engine bought off of theSamba for $250 it will give many one heck of a run for their money.

Oh... and it is a blast to drive.

Clonebug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: