Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia Suspension:Lower, Narrow, Adjust - Custom & Stock
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice "how to" and pics!
javier munoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Dropped Spindles on Low Light Reply with quote

Love the How To's on this thread. I have a link pin front end on my Ghia and have acquired another link pin front end with dropped spindles mounted on it. Any ideas out there on the easiest way to swap these out. I was first going to just swap the beams but then I got to thinking if there was a way to just swap spindles. I am just not to sure on the link pin setup. Any ideas out there?
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: ride hight Reply with quote

i was just wondering what a good ride height is. and how many clicks it is to get to a a good height. also i would want to run 15x5.5 wheels. so how low i could go without them rubbing. thanks
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ride hight Reply with quote

scotty timmerman wrote:
i was just wondering what a good ride height is. and how many clicks it is to get to a a good height. also i would want to run 15x5.5 wheels. so how low i could go without them rubbing. thanks

Way too many variables here. If you want advice, you have to give more information, such as the year of your car, long or short axle, tire sizes, narrowed or stock width front beam, drop spindles or adjustable beam or both in front, desired lowering for handling purposes or merely for aesthetics, etc.
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ride hight Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
scotty timmerman wrote:

Way too many variables here. If you want advice, you have to give more information, such as the year of your car, long or short axle, tire sizes, narrowed or stock width front beam, drop spindles or adjustable beam or both in front, desired lowering for handling purposes or merely for aesthetics, etc.

well its a 1971 it has a adjustable front beam stock length, no drop spindles. i dont know if it is long or short axle, its just what came on the car. tire size is 195/15 hr 15. the ride height is just for looks. the pan is off the car right now so i cant just put them on and look. i would want to try and get in in the ballpark. thanks
gimpy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put adjusters on my '71, indexed them for max lowering. I have them cranked up almost all the way & it gives me around 3-3 1/2" lowering. Just went thru the alignment (strings, etc.) yesteday. Car drives real straight but has slight bumpsteer. My question is are they different thickness caster shims available? I have bugpack in there now. Or would someone know what angle the beams set at, I have a digital level to measure it with. The bumpsteer isn't bad, but enough to be annoying. Any help or ideas appreciated, thanx ......... Cool
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: ride hight Reply with quote

scotty timmerman wrote:
sactojesse wrote:
scotty timmerman wrote:

well its a 1971 it has a adjustable front beam stock length, no drop spindles. i dont know if it is long or short axle, its just what came on the car. tire size is 195/15 hr 15. the ride height is just for looks. the pan is off the car right now so i cant just put them on and look. i would want to try and get in in the ballpark. thanks

Your car has an IRS, so long/short axle is not relevant to your car, as that only applies to 68 and older ghias with the swing-axle rear suspension. Your combo of an adjustable front beam and stock (not drop) spindles would theoretically allow you to fit wider tires up front than with drop spindles (because of the 5/8" or so track width increase on each side when using drop spindles). However, whether your tire will rub up front depends on your tire height, where you have the front beam adjusted, and the offset of the rims you have selected. There's a typo on your tire size aspect ratio and I don't know what offset rims you have, so I can't tell what your tire height will be and whether it will rub up front, but you should be able to squeeze 195s in back.
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: ride hight Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
scotty timmerman wrote:
sactojesse wrote:
scotty timmerman wrote:

Your car has an IRS, so long/short axle is not relevant to your car, as that only applies to 68 and older ghias with the swing-axle rear suspension. Your combo of an adjustable front beam and stock (not drop) spindles would theoretically allow you to fit wider tires up front than with drop spindles (because of the 5/8" or so track width increase on each side when using drop spindles). However, whether your tire will rub up front depends on your tire height, where you have the front beam adjusted, and the offset of the rims you have selected. There's a typo on your tire size aspect ratio and I don't know what offset rims you have, so I can't tell what your tire height will be and whether it will rub up front, but you should be able to squeeze 195s in back.

thanks for the info. you said i could squeeze them in the back, on stock height? so i shouldn't do anything with the height in the back. thanks
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: ride hight Reply with quote

scotty timmerman wrote:
sactojesse wrote:
scotty timmerman wrote:
sactojesse wrote:
scotty timmerman wrote:

thanks for the info. you said i could squeeze them in the back, on stock height? so i shouldn't do anything with the height in the back. thanks

Stock height or lowered, depending on your wheel offset and tire diameter. I still don't know what tire size you have because you listed an aspect ratio "15" that does not exist.
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: ride hight Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
scotty timmerman wrote:
sactojesse wrote:
scotty timmerman wrote:
sactojesse wrote:
scotty timmerman wrote:

Stock height or lowered, depending on your wheel offset and tire diameter. I still don't know what tire size you have because you listed an aspect ratio "15" that does not exist.

the rims are american eagal centerline look a likes 15x5.5. the tires are good year, it says nct/hr50 and 195/50 hr 15 on the tire. thanks
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: 1/2in drop in the back Reply with quote

i was just wondering on how many notches inner/outer it is to get a 1/2in drop in the back. i was told 2 inner clockwise and 2 outer counter-clockwise. but it just looks like it is stock height. any help is appreciated. thanks
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for a little help today. Bought and installed adjustable springplates over the weekend and of course whenever one moves away from stock...issues will happen. Everything was fine until mounting the tires. They rub on the adjusting blocks. I got out the official fine tuning tool, 4 inch angle grinder and cleared as much as I thought would be safe. Still had rubbing. I created about a 6 mil spacer and remounted tires. That gives me about 2-3 mils of clearance as the car sits w/ no engine or body. Question is, when I get the engine, body and all the normal weight will the tires move and give me more clearance? How much do you think I need? thanks Pics below. The last pic is looking up to see how much metal i left on the adhuster, could I take more off? Id like to get as thin of spacer as possible. Thanks for input.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a 205 width tire?

Depending on the rims you are using, you might be able to run a thin spacer
between the drums and wheels.

Or if you buy a rear disc brake conversion kit, it would likely bump it out enough to clear.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

195.60.15 tire. Deep six Fuchs. The one pic is w/ 6mm spacer. Really no desire to go disc, just want as much clearance as i can get and dont want to lose what i added w/ the short axles. I dont want any spacers at all if I can shave more off the adjusting block. Can I?
So, am i right in thinking that if I have no rub w/ no weight (engine, body) that the wheels will move to give me more clearance with the added weight of motor and body installed? / \ current...with weight l l more clearance?
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think clearance to the block will change with weight on the car. Do you really need adjustable plates? set the ride height using the inner and outer torsion splines. It takes maybe 2 hours with the car fully assembled, (and less with practice) Once the bars take a 'set' it will be good for years. Then you won't have to fiddle with spacers Smile
I wouldn't grind more off the block myself considering the stress on that small piece of metal.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ian, I think you are right about the block position not changing.
Do I need them?? no. Didnt need to pop for the Fuchs and I also dont need the 2017cc im building, or the 3 sets of Delortos...Wink. Im definatly in the "want" category here. I bought them because I wanted ease of adjustment and didnt want to mess w/ the torsions once the body and pan were back together. Right now its easy, installing the plates is about the same job as re-indexing so i know how to do it. But without the weight I cant get the suspension to "set" to know if I am where i want to be. I dont have a good pic that shows the rake drop from back to front, but its a few inchs at least. My front beam is adjustable, 3 in. narrowed, plus drop spindles and adjusters are at highest limit of adjustment. I am looking for the car to sit low but flat.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrel, I'm in the want category too (it's is a nasty affliction). I welded a Swayaway adjuster in the middle of the rear torsion housing http://www.swayaway.com/VW_3.php#REARTORSIONADJUSTERS
I have two holes in the bottom of the tunnel that I use a allen key to adjust the rear ride height. Your pan looks too pretty to go this way now, there is a fair bit of cutting and welding to put it in.
This chart should help to set non adjustable spring plates very close to the ride height you want if you go that way.
http://www.swayaway.com/TechRoom_VWguides.php
good luck
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably right, if it isn't rubbing now it probably won't.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, "wanting" is dangerous for sure, and I dont have a wife to tell me to knock it off, im nearly hopeless. Thanks for the link to Swayaway, been on their site 6-7 times when i was shopping for the springplates and never saw the page you directed me to. Ive never seen/heard of the middle adjusters, that would have been the way to go a little earlier in the process. Strange they are not more popular, its slick.
Was thinking about cutting off the blocks and moving them about 1/2 inch out, away from the tire. It would increase the pressure on the adjuster and maybe i should not re-engineer these things. Do you guys know if i go from a 195.60.15 to 195.65.15...will i gain clearance?
Maybe just use the sway away chart and hope for the best. Thanks for the info and help.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of moving the block, good lateral thinking. a solid block and a decent bolt would be very strong. A 65 profile tyre won't make any noticable difference.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: