Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To torch or to mig weld?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karnage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: To torch or to mig weld? Reply with quote

Which is better to use to weld vw metal? Id used a wire feed mig welder several years back when i was 16, when i could barely weld, and had a real problem with getting the welds to stick or to not burn through. I ended up spending countless hours with a grinder trying to get off all the unsticking welds so i could retry.

After all this an older guy told me he had never had any problems when he used a torch to weld his vw pans back together when wacking them down. Was I wrong with trying to use a mig welder, or is there a certain trick im just not seeing.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either one will work if you know what you are doing. The secret is you must know how to weld. There is a lot more to welding then just flipping on the switch and pulling the trigger. Mig welding you must know how to set the voltage or power settings, the wire speed, gas pressure if using sheilding gas, type of gas, and the correct type of wire for what you are trying to weld. There are several different types and sizes of wire. Look into taking a welding class at your local Vo-Tech or community collage. It is a skill you will use the rest of your life.
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were just using wire feed flux wire to weld with your MIG welder, that's not the same as using argon/CO2 gas with your MIG. Gas w/MIG is tons easier and better then just wire feed and probably the best for people that want to start welding.

Gas welding can give you great results, but only if you know what you're doing as well. IMO not the best method for a beginner to pick up to get good results with.
diy570
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mig
John Kelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article might help:

http://metalshapers.org/101/jkelly/index.html

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tazbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the metal that you are welding must be CLEAN. No rust or paint or the mig weld will not stick. The most important thing about welding that I have learned. Cool Do not rush the process. Take your time and practice on scrap metal. It will come to you with time and practice. Shocked
Mr. Bungle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imo, go wire feed mig w/ argon & co2 mix (75% argon & 25% co2, i believe) use the smallest wire you can get (.023"), set the bottle pressure between 15-20, and keep the heat/voltage low-ish and the wire feed medium-ish.

the settings (heat/voltage & wire feed) will depend on how good you are. i'd recommend practicing on scrap steel the same gauge as vw steel and just cut and tack peices of scrap back together until you get the hang of it.

i purchased a miller 135 wire feed mig welder last year and i love it. it's not rocket science. it just takes practice to get a technique that you are comfortable with.

good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWSmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also don't try to run one long bead, use stich welds that is to say, weld about 1/2" or so then skip 6" then another 1/2"...

Once you've made it all the way down the panel come back to where you started and extend each weld another 1/2".

Doing this keeps the panels from over heating and warping on you.
carmangary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I wouldn't even do 1/2" welds. I'd stick to multiple spot welds or maybe 1/4".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: