Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a Baja in one day..
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatherProphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Building a Baja in one day.. Reply with quote

I thought I would take pics of my "One Day Baja Build" and make a simple little website to show people that may be interested in turning that Beetle into an off-roader how easy it really is.. I hope you find something of use on this page.

http://fatherprophet.home.insightbb.com/baja.htm

I know everyone does it different... but this is just to show if you have a Beetle..... a few bucks... and a day you can play in the mud.

FP
Nicksan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Job on your baja, and nice website. Smile
Chewbacca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have often heard people call building a VW Baja a "Project" ,they talk about getting halfway through the "Project" and never finishing it... well that I don't understand

I think the reason peoples "projects" take a long time and sometimes dont get finnished is because most people, myself included, don't begin with a bug that has few or no problems, or they are heavily modifing it.
The list of things I've done and need to do to my bug are endless, and its a overwhelmingly big task that is going to take the better part of a year.
Doing what you have done in a day is a fair effort dont get me wrong, but its a bit hard to do a body off resto in a matter of hours.

Anyway, thats beside the point, I do like what you have done.
I can't say I particually like baja kits which is why mine is staying full bodied.
Plus I couldnt bring myself to cut it up.
Chewbacca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to ask... hows it go with the front apron attached??
grf74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, was gonna do my taillights the same way Razz. Glad to see how it looks before I did it though. Looks great!

Check it out at: http://mybaja.has.it

www.vdubsandtuners.com
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE!
i am a big fan of the low-buck approach.
the only thing i would add is to run some cheap "door edge guard" around the unfinished edges of your fenders, just to protect people and tires from getting cut.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bljones wrote:
NICE!
i am a big fan of the low-buck approach.
the only thing i would add is to run some cheap "door edge guard" around the unfinished edges of your fenders, just to protect people and tires from getting cut.

Excellent catch. My original low buck baja turned into a big bore 40 horse baloney slicer. The door edge guard will save knuckles, thighs, forearms, foreheads, etc. BTW ... nice job on the baja.
mharney wrote:

I think Glenn has an EMPI crank in his engine.
scott the viking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, it's straight forward and easy. I think when most folks say "project Baja" they are digging into it a little bit deeper. Like suspension upgrades, trans swap, roll cage, the list goes on. However....there are MANY who would be more than content with what you have created. Then..... there are those like me; who can never be satisfied with anything; no matter how good. My Wife has said to me "if you just won the Dakar rally you would climb out of the car pissed off because you heard a strange squeak from the front-end in the last mile of the race". I don't know if I am (that bad) Rolling Eyes but I do know that my car never seems to be finished. Even when I am driving it and having fun, I am thinking "sure would be nice to have a little more power" or "a couple more inches of travel sure would be cool", (which is what I am working on today). But for those of us who do not like living in a shop Shocked (weirdos) I think what you did is top notch.

Play an accordion...go to jail.
FatherProphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Thanks guys... Reply with quote

Yes I in no way ment to offend anyone who is always "Upgradeing" and modifying their bug... as I mentioned on the sight if you want to go crazy then you need some money for suspension and engine modifications... if you just want to hit the trails, then just do what I did.. I love VW's and have had at least one (sometimes 4-5) since I was 14 years old.. I have been off- roading them for about the same amount of time.. I have also been guilty of building a couple of "high end" buggies with crazy horsepower(which seemed to break almost every weekend) but I really enjoy the Baja the best.. I just wanted to make a low tech site to maybe help somebody thats been afraid to tackle the process... I will be adding pics and procedures like cut and turn on my front beam etc as I do them... Like I said on the page, my bugs not done... so I guess it is a "Project" as well
Smile
Nicksan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About not finishing A Baja project, Ive been working on mine for 6 years now and still have more to go, LOL. Should I do the front Disc Brakes next or pickup some Kadrons? Think
FatherProphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bluegrassghostinvestigations.com/baja.htm

New Web address for site..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bajabugman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumbled across this a few years ago, it was one of the few websites that actually made me beleive i could build on in a day. One year, 3 months and 29 days later Twisted Evil

66 baja-rotary powered \=O=/

Oh I get it, the robot doesn't have any arms!
shegel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know why more people wouldnt build a baja like this. it seems the cheapest and easiest way to do it.
1977 Honda gl1000
1993 Honda xr250L
bajabugman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its because the common idea of a baja bug its like 14" of travel on both ends so thats what people seem to try to acheive. Either that or we buy cars that need work so we build them as large as the budget alows.

66 baja-rotary powered \=O=/

Oh I get it, the robot doesn't have any arms!
FatherProphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump... thought I would bump this back up again.. I get alot of email and traffic to my little page and like to help as many people out as I can... here is my website..

GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember this was for sale, I guess you decided to keep it? Great car. btw. I thought it was well worth the asking price.
SpenceSuper11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shegel wrote:
i dont know why more people wouldnt build a baja like this. it seems the cheapest and easiest way to do it.

It's the same way I decided to do mine since Super fiberglass kits are just way too overpriced and hard to come by.

Opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily shared by anyone who is not intelligent, sexy, well-off financially, and a great dancer.
FatherProphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreeneHoosier wrote:
I remember this was for sale, I guess you decided to keep it? Great car. btw. I thought it was well worth the asking price.

You are correct.. I was going to sell it..got alot of interest.. I decided to sell my "Slammed" 65 instead.. hell I have driven this car almost everyday for the last six years with no problems.... I just couldnt let her go..it's the only Bug I've ever had featured in a magizine... I plan to redo it this spring..fix the surface rust..paint it Grey etc.. Im a Baja guy... I always have been..well I still have my Ratty-ass Thing Smile
oktr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember looking at your web site about a year ago, when I first got my car. I agree with not turning it into a project. Get it running and upgrade as needed once you find out what you can and can't do with the car.

I've had more fun with my car over the past year than most here. Yeah, it's ugly, rusted, dented, and doesn't have any trick parts other than the bus transaxle and associated parts, but what's more fun, looking at a project in the garage, or driving a baja out on the trails?
'66 Type 1 waiting heart transplant
'60 Baja Volkstruckin' future project
'58 Chassis w/ Beau Hickory Virgo body

Quote from RLAP: "dude i think the last thing you need in your bug is more horsepower, you would only get yourself into trouble"
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatherProphet wrote:
Bump... thought I would bump this back up again.. I get alot of email and traffic to my little page and like to help as many people out as I can... here is my website..

I gotta tell you, your build was a great inspiration to me. My donor car wasn't all that mechanically sound, so it took me more than a day. My buddy would say, "Come on Lotrat, It's a baja in a day!" My day turned into 5 months...

I will tell you new baja guys to not underestimate the value of your stock German parts. I sold all my OG for more than what used baja parts cost. I gave up looking for front fenders and cut mine. Don't throw out all the stuff you strip off. Someone wants or needs it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: