Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cargo door alignment
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chameleon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: cargo door alignment Reply with quote

Is it possible to adjust the horizontal alignment of the cargo doors on my 1966 bus? The left had door is lined up ok with the rear of the bus and the right hand door lines up ok with the passenger door, when they are closed together the right hand cargo door is around 3mm higher than the left door.

If adjustment is possible, how do you do it? If not, what could be wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jerry.t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it souns like one of the hinges is bent, or tweeked.

OGST

SBS #43

(14:39:50) Pintobean: i came out of the shower... cats were freaking out... i
69_Jim: I actually made girly noises as I was laying on the ground

VWSwap: I'm gonna post all over there...leave my DNA all over the place...make 'em bust out their black lights. Jerks.
chameleon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hinges 'seem' ok. If they are bent, what is the best way to get them back true?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chameleon wrote:
The hinges 'seem' ok. If they are bent, what is the best way to get them back true?

let an expert do it. they will use such tools as a sledgehammer, a 2x4, and that wierd chain prying thingie. best not to actually watch them doing it also.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bending a hinge must be done in a vise. If you try it on the bus you may bend the post instead. Aligning door for the inexperienced is trial and error untill you understand the way the door reacts. Look at the way the door needs to move and use a 2x4 to tweak it. It seems weird but with the right bending and twisting you can get them to fit perfectly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chameleon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a closer look at what is happening with the hinges. It looks like the lower left hinge has taken a knock at some time - so looks like this is the problem. I will try tweaking it in the vise.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: