Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steps on how to change a Distributor
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vweater1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Steps on how to change a Distributor Reply with quote

I've done a search and didn't come up with anything. I would like some steps on how to remove and install a distributor. This will be my first time and would like to know the degree of difficulty and if I should do myself or take to someone. I would rather do myself as I would like this to be my learning experience to not have any problems changing one in the future. If someone could tell me how to crank the motor over manually and the certain steps on how to do it right would be of great help.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's basically one bolt.

I don't think Type 3s are any different from Type 1 so there's one bolt that holds the distributor clamp.

It makes it easier if you crank the engine so it's at Top Dead Center on #1.

Here's what you do:
1) Remove the distributor cap. There's a small notch on the top edge of the distributor body that marks #1. You want to turn the engine (wither use a wrench or by clicking the key) so the rotor points to that notch.
2) Remove the wire running from the points to the coil
3) Remove any vacuum hoses and note where they went
4) Loosen the clamp (13mm nut) holding the distributor clamp to the case and just pull it out.

To reinstall:
1) Point the rotor to the notch
2) Insert the distributor and put the clamp back on the stud
3) The distributor only goes in 1 way, so see if the rotor turns by hand. It should not... if it does, then it's either not in the correct location or not in all the way.
4) Tighten the 13mm nut
5) Reattach the the vacuum hoses and points wire
6) reinstall the cap

Your done.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vweater1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Glen, your steps seem very very easy and you explained it right to the point. Once again I get all my question(s )answered with the most information possible. The Samba Rules. Twisted Evil
vweater1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot Glen, Since your the right person to talk to about dizzy's. What should my 019 distributor be timed and the points gapped at for a 71 sqbk with a 1641 cc engine, dual 32 solex carbs, black bosch coil, and so on. Let me know as I'm going to do this today. Thanks for your help once again. Confused
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally 28-32 degrees depending on compression, fuel and shape of combustion chamber.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Medeco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1970 square and the books i have say it is a centrifugal and vacuum advance type distributor.

Does anyone know a vendor who has this type or can another be used?

Also, my square is Fuel injected.

Thanks
Squarely67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
It's basically one bolt.

I don't think Type 3s are any different from Type 1 so there's one bolt that holds the distributor clamp.

It makes it easier if you crank the engine so it's at Top Dead Center on #1.

Here's what you do:
1) Remove the distributor cap. There's a small notch on the top edge of the distributor body that marks #1. You want to turn the engine (wither use a wrench or by clicking the key) so the rotor points to that notch.
2) Remove the wire running from the points to the coil
3) Remove any vacuum hoses and note where they went
4) Loosen the clamp (13mm nut) holding the distributor clamp to the case and just pull it out. Otherwise, leave the clamp in place and install the new distributor and use the old clamp.

To reinstall:
1) Point the rotor to the notch
2) Insert the distributor and put the clamp back on the stud
3) The distributor only goes in 1 way, so see if the rotor turns by hand. It should not... if it does, then it's either not in the correct location or not in all the way.
4) Tighten the 13mm nut
5) Reattach the the vacuum hoses and points wire
6) reinstall the cap

Your done.

Do everything that Glenn says. You may find, however, that after you remove the bolt that holds the clamp in place, you can't get the distributor out because the timing advance adjustment bolt hits the thermostat flap rod. This is the problem I encountered, so instead of removing the clamp with the distributor, loosen the timing advance adjustment clamp nut and pull the distributor out. Then if you need to replace the clamp, it should now clear the flap rod. Otherwise, leave in the old clamp and slide in the new distributor.
Medeco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medeco wrote:
I have a 1970 square and the books i have say it is a centrifugal and vacuum advance type distributor.

Does anyone know a vendor who has this type or can another be used?

Also, my square is Fuel injected.

Thanks

Anybody? Is the Mechanical 009 Dist. ok or is it the vacuum/mechanical combo?

thanks.
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your engine if FI, you MUST use the stock distributor. Which is great, because the stock FI unit provides both vacuum and centrifugal advance and is superior to the 009 in every way. Just be sure your vacuum advance unit it working properly. In fact, when I run carbs with no provision for vacuum advance, I still use the FI distributor. Even w/o the vacuum advance, it still beats an 009.

FYI the earlier FI distributors, those with part numbers ending in L, M, and AB, provide more centrifugal advance than the later units.
Medeco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GjMan wrote:
If your engine if FI, you MUST use the stock distributor. Which is great, because the stock FI unit provides both vacuum and centrifugal advance and is superior to the 009 in every way. Just be sure your vacuum advance unit it working properly. In fact, when I run carbs with no provision for vacuum advance, I still use the FI distributor. Even w/o the vacuum advance, it still beats an 009.

FYI the earlier FI distributors, those with part numbers ending in L, M, and AB, provide more centrifugal advance than the later units.

So, what steps should I take to make sure my vaccum advance is working properly? Or is it listed in the Bentley manual and i just skipped over it?

thanks for the info.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medeco wrote:

So, what steps should I take to make sure my vaccum advance is working properly? Or is it listed in the Bentley manual and i just skipped over it?

thanks for the info.

You can just suck on the hose and watch the timing move. (I use a new piece of hose.) While you are suckng on it, put your tongue over the end of the hose and see if the timing stays where it is or drops back.
Or, you can go buy one of those fancy little hand vacuum pumps.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squarely67 wrote:

Do everything that Glenn says. You may find, however, that after you remove the bolt that holds the clamp in place, you can't get the distributor out because the timing advance adjustment bolt hits the thermostat flap rod. This is the problem I encountered, so instead of removing the clamp with the distributor, loosen the timing advance adjustment clamp nut and pull the distributor out. Then if you need to replace the clamp, it should now clear the flap rod. Otherwise, leave in the old clamp and slide in the new distributor.

Thank you for this clarification. Searching actually gets results!

I when dismantling my engine I thought that somebody had done something with the clamp to make it the cooling flaps rod but I guess it was just poor design. With all my other VW engines the clamp came with the dist.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medeco wrote:
Anybody? Is the Mechanical 009 Dist. ok or is it the vacuum/mechanical combo?

thanks.

You will need a type 3 distributor, as the fuel injection system requires the trigger contacts to operate the injectors. A distributor from a fuel injected Porsche 914 (1700 and 2000cc engines ONLY) will also work, although the cap is taller. It probably has a different advance curve, too. That's what I'm running in my Square.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: