Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new 34PICT3...where?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: new 34PICT3...where? Reply with quote

My catalogs of various venders show a replacement 34PICT3 from $129 to $199. What's up with that? Of course none of them actually tell you WHOSE carburetor it is. Just that it will replace the 34. I think my carb maybe in line for replacement once I see how a rebuild goes.....I must mail-order all my parts so I really don't want to get scammed. Anyone have advice on a vendor that I might trust and save some money? Confused
Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West is a good supplier, here is a lind for their 34PICT3: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113129031h

OE VDubs is good also, here is their link: http://www.oeveedub.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scr...ct_Count=7

Another posibility is Aircooled Net, they have a german made one at: http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/kwsearch.php

Hopefully your original one can be rebuild succesfully. Good luck.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one is the oe veedub link is the one you want. it is made in china by pierburg and it is much better than the bocar 34-pict3

you should be able to get it for quite a bit less than the price listed there.
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cip1.com has two- the one listed as their "Top Quality" carb is the Pierburg, I believe. They sell that for $140, and shipping is free.
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierberg carbs have worked very well for me and my customers. I do not sell the Bocar or Borosol 34 pict 3 any more. My price is 155.00 in stock. Depending on your engine and dizzy I also rejet it if necessary to work with what you have or at least get it closer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wannathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Carb Reply with quote

I bought the one from CIP1. It is made in Germany by KAFER. It is all new and looks to be a nice carb. It has studs installed in the bottom of the carb and has the new gasket. I haven't bolted it up yet as I have been working on scraping the floor of my thing trying to get all the old paint/POR off. My current carb is a Brosal? and has some leaking gaskets. I'm pretty sure it is a replacement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check that one out. I had just assumed Cip1's was a Pierburg as I had never heard of Kafer before- I wonder if it's a new product? Let us know how it works out. I still have the OG Solex which I recently rebuilt, but nothing beats a brand new carb (as long as it's well made).
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed cip1 and just heard from the Gen Manager. He pulled one from the shelf and the box says Pierburg. Think I'll order it.
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just placed order from cip1 for the PIERBURG C24-113-129-031K. Free shipping and 5% discount for online order. ($132) Will let you guys know how it works out.
wannathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. I just looked at the box and it does say Pierburg. However, it also has KAFER on the box, and embossed on the carb itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wannathing: $132 seems like afair market price. I am planning to replace the main jet with a 130-135 since I added a Bugpack extractor and mondo muffler. I hope to catch the stock engine up to the exhaust. Let me know how your install goes.
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to add more confusion here, but the one that aircooled.net sells is a pierburg. The box says "kafer" and "engineering from Germany" or something along those lines. It's also advertised as a German carb, but what's this about Pierburg being made in China? Anyone want to clarify? BTW - I bought one of these about ayear ago, and am very happy with it.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For future reference Mike Basso at Things Unlimited has the Pierburg carbs available and is willing to beat any other vendor's price. Remember to mention that you are on the Thing list when you order. That always quailifies your for a nice discount. K-mann
carmangary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered one of these from CIP1 but haven't received it yet. Has anyone bought one from them and installed it? If so, any problems?
Thanks,
Gary
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
wannathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
For future reference Mike Basso at Things Unlimited has the Pierburg carbs available and is willing to beat any other vendor's price. Remember to mention that you are on the Thing list when you order. That always quailifies your for a nice discount. K-mann

Question Whats the Thing list? Thanks
pjmacua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Thing list Reply with quote

wannathing wrote:
Question Whats the Thing list? Thanks

You can find a Thing list here:
(http://lists.topica.com/lists/things/prefs/info.html)

Edit:
http://lists.topica.com/lists/things/?cid=149

Regards
Pierre-J MACUA

Last edited by pjmacua on Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Delaware Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is a little dated, but the topic came up today for me, and I wanted to let you know what I found.

I was at my local (read: only one of two in the state) VW parts place today, and the subject of Pierburg 34PICT/3 carbs came up. My local guy told me that he and his parts distributer don't carry them because he had seen a couple of poor quality examples, and that They were “made in China”. His explanation was somehow tied into Nuclear Proliferation and a “not gonna support them” feeling of patriotism.

Now, I'm Ex-career Military, and while it's hard to shake my patriotism, I usually try to lead with my head, so I did some checking.

As far as quality is concerned, I haven't seen much negative feedback on the Internet about these carbs. I know that some had a fuel seep problem, but that was early on, and were few in number. I hear far more bad press about the other makers.

Come to find out that the Pierburg name has been involved with German fuel pumps, venturis, and carburetors Since prior to World War II. They made their name on building quality subcontracted carbs and other equipment for the likes of Solex and Zenith. Many European cars had Pierburg equipment in them, and the Solex carb originally on your VW may have been built by Pierburg.

In todays world they are owned by a larger company (aren't we all?), and manufacture all kinds of intake related stuff. The 34PICT/3 main body parts are rough cut in China, then sent back to Germany for finishing and assembly. In a world where a sizable chunk of Harley Davidsons are Japanese components, and my Honda motorcycle was made in Ohio, I don't see this as a problem when the quality can be maintained. YMMV.

'71 Standard Beetle Project
'69 Type 3 fastback (sold), '65 Standard Beetle (sold),
'05 Passat 1.8 Turbo, '97 Jetta Tdi (sold)
carmangary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bought one of the Pierburg carbs and it dripped fuel out the side. I returned it for a Bocar that doesn't leak at all.

I talked to the guy at CIP1 on the phone and he was open and honest about things. He said a lot of the Pierburg carbs were having problems but the Bocar carbs hardly ever are returned.

I won't waste my time with the Pierburg carbs unless I start hearing good things about them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Delaware Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carmangary:
How long ago did you have you bad experience? It was my understanding that the problem Pierburgs were some of the first run, and that they were taken out of the system. Of the places I talked to, they said that they haven't had many recent complaints at all.

'71 Standard Beetle Project
'69 Type 3 fastback (sold), '65 Standard Beetle (sold),
'05 Passat 1.8 Turbo, '97 Jetta Tdi (sold)
Kalen1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this guy for Original German Carbs

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=64882
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: