Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WW 64 Engine Cover :(
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RambosRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: WW 64 Engine Cover :( Reply with quote

I got a "brand new" WW engine cover (bonnet, deck lid) with the van, still in box it had never been opened.

It was missing at least a dozen spot welds and the prop bracket.

The outside is so wavy it looks like someone sandblasted the thing but its just a poor stamp quality.

I have over 6 hours into fixing this "new" part... is this what I can expect from WW sheet metal?

I need to order a bunch more sheet metal but if this engine cover is an example of WW quality I'll pass and use another vendor.

Anyone got some feedback before I spend thousands of dollars?

Dan
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 64 Engine Cover :( Reply with quote

RambosRide wrote:
I'll pass and use another vendor.

good luck, all replacement metal needs a lot of work to be 'right'

that being said, most of WW replacement metal is of very high quality, their chassis parts are the only pieces I use in my work.
RambosRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 64 Engine Cover :( Reply with quote

sled wrote:
RambosRide wrote:
I'll pass and use another vendor.

good luck, all replacement metal needs a lot of work to be 'right'

that being said, most of WW replacement metal is of very high quality, their chassis parts are the only pieces I use in my work.

All vendors sheet metal this bad?
Who do you use for sheet metal parts?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 64 Engine Cover :( Reply with quote

Looks like you got a turd.
I used WW dogleg, cargo door rocker and outer cargo floor thirds on my Kombi recently and was pleased with the fit and construction.
Consensus seems to be that WW is generally good quality stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vintage Auto Werks1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: WW 64 Engine Cover :( Reply with quote

On the website it says the brackets need to be welded on but is included. Was it included in your box? Did you think it should have been already welded on?

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211827025B
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RambosRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: WW 64 Engine Cover :( Reply with quote

Vintage Auto Werks1 wrote:
On the website it says the brackets need to be welded on but is included. Was it included in your box? Did you think it should have been already welded on?

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211827025B

Hello - I didn't order the part, just inheirited this project with the lid in the box so didn't see the webpage.

The bracket I kinda get as I think they swaped prop rods mid year 64 to the "wire" style ones where the mount is lower.

I was just sorely dissapointed with the missing spotwelds and poor condition of the outer skin/stamping.

Dan
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 64 Engine Cover :( Reply with quote

I bought one for my 60 and it was straight. I pretty much scuffed and painted.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
RambosRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 64 Engine Cover :( Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

Maybe mine is from a batch of older parts from WW - how long ago did you buy yours?

The problems with mine aren't from any shipping damage, from the stamping process.

Dan
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 64 Engine Cover :( Reply with quote

I bought a deck lid from W.W. about three years ago. It was rather good for quality,a few imperfections but rather easy to fix.The thing that was a major problem is it did not have the torsional stability as the O/G part. I used Por 15 on the seams had the lid adjusted,lined the seals with Walmart bags to protect the seals from the Por 15 and than slammed it shut for the overnight.The next day it proved to be just as rigid as the O/G part. Mine did not have the prop rod bracket installed either;so mine was almost certainly purchased long after you're part was delivered.
RambosRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 64 Engine Cover :( Reply with quote

Busted-bolt wrote:
I bought a deck lid from W.W. about three years ago. It was rather good for quality,a few imperfections but rather easy to fix.The thing that was a major problem is it did not have the torsional stability as the O/G part. I used Por 15 on the seams had the lid adjusted,lined the seals with Walmart bags to protect the seals from the Por 15 and than slammed it shut for the overnight.The next day it proved to be just as rigid as the O/G part. Mine did not have the prop rod bracket installed either;so mine was almost certainly purchased long after you're part was delivered.

I don't like POR15 product myself , I've had it peel off in sheets on anything other than solid rust and won't use it again.

How's the POR15 holding up for you on clean metal?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 64 Engine Cover :( Reply with quote

RambosRide wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Maybe mine is from a batch of older parts from WW - how long ago did you buy yours?

The problems with mine aren't from any shipping damage, from the stamping process.

Dan

Bought it about nine months ago.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: WW 64 Engine Cover :( Reply with quote

The lid I got had flash rust in the seams already,so it stuck really good .I also wiped it of of the painted surfaces.Its really strong and rigid after about two years and around 15k miles. I know it won't stick to any thing with paint or oil on it. Most bare sheet metal has a really stubborn coating that don't like to come off with out some kind of abrasive.And then there is the anodized coatings that cannot be properly welded or painted without completely removing.
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: WW 64 Engine Cover :( Reply with quote

I bought one from autocraft this year and was super happy, but it was an autocraft part, not a WW part, with everything welded, tab as well.

Look like they now offer a WW part with modification included.

http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/split-screen-va...9-65_2773/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: