'55-'67 Split bus dropped spindles Price: $400/set
- Rebuilt 3.5" dropped split bus spindles
** Please research and look at feedback before choosing your spindle builder.
Do you want your spindles to last as long as you own your bus?
Many builders charge extra for kingpin bushings, even though the large majority of spindles are in need of them. My spindles include new kingpin bushings. They are custom made and reamed in place, sized to fit each kingpin perfectly.
Many builders do not re-grind the kingpins, they either leave the rust pitting in place or they cut them with a toolbit which does not leave a factory finish on the hardened steel. If you were to take a metal ruler and place it against a kingpin cut with a toolbit, you would see daylight in several spots right in the middle of the machines surface. This will cause your new bushings to wear prematurely. I re-grind any kingpins which are in need at no additional cost, which leaves a perfectly polished machine finish similar to a crankshaft.
Many builders simply leave the lower factory phenolic washer and rubber seal out, which leaves a metal to metal contact surface every time you hit a bump. This means you will see a significant wear within a very short period of time. I machine the spindle carrier so your spindles will retain all of the factory parts and seals.
Many builders do not gusset the spindle carrier. In order to drop bus spindles, you have to grind thickness of the spindle away in one area. This creates a weak spot and to overcome this we add 1/4” gussets to reinforce our spindles.
You send me your spindles and for $400 I do the following:
- Break down your spindles on a factory jig
- Check spindle arms for twist on a VW factory fixture
- Degrease & media-blast all components
- Polish spindle arms
- Regrind kingpins as needed
- Machine end thrust on a vertical mill
- Machine grease groove into the ID of the new kingpin bushings
- Clearance spindle carrier- removing the absolute minimum of material
- Gusset spindle carrier
- Reverse taper tie-rod hole to accept bay-window tie-rods
- Chase all threads
- Install and ream new kingpin bushings using factory tools. These are sized to fit each specific kingpin as best possible.
- Paint all components with three coats of quality glossy black. All parts are hand masked to duplicate factory painting procedures.
- Press the restored parts back together on a VW factory assembly fixture using new seals.
- Dress up using a combination of new and re-plated original hardware.
*Machine-work, new kingpin bushings, new kingpin seals, new grease fittings are included. *
I can rebuild the set you send me or I can ship out a rebuilt set first so you can exchange yours without having the bus stuck up in the air for a week. I have rebuilt sets in stock for most years and usually they can ship out without delay.
I keep baywindow tie rod ends, adjustable tie rods, and splitty brake parts in stock at competitive prices, if you need anything, just ask.
Please contact me by phone or email with any questions.
Please check out my other ads for loads of other VW parts. I am happy to combine shipping on multiple item orders. Bulk discounts available on large multiple item orders.
Trades considered, search my Wanted ads for trade options.
I accept Paypal and payments by mail.
Worldwide shipping available.
After you receive your order, I would appreciate if you left positive feedback for us on thesamba by clicking this link:
November 14, 2000
Ad last edited:
Petaluma, California, USA Map it
Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:47 pm
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:32 am
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:07 am
Parts - Type 2/Bus - 1949-67
Money order/Bank check
Watch this ad |
Watch this seller