1987 Vanagon Westfalia - Suby engine Price: $22000
The family has outgrown our van. It is reliable and strong. Body looks OK, but has some rust issues - structurally it is sound. I did my best to never drive it in the winter, but it has lived in upstate NY for many years. She is NOT a "rust-bucket", just not perfect. I have owned it since 2004. 294000 miles on the body.
- Seam rust. I have sanded, treated, primed and repainted most of the lower seams. Some more than once. The repairs are not perfect or forever/permanent. Some look great, some just OK. I am not a professional.
- The clutch has some chatter when cold.
- Not working: rear wiper, high-beam indicator light, alt warning light (voltmeter works fine).
- I did a Subaru engine conversion in 2006. Engine is a OBD-1 1992 2.2L. Engine now has 149K miles, the last 56K while in the van. All KEP parts. SS exhaust replaced 2 years ago. At the time of install I put in new timing belt, water pump and all seals. Runs great - always has. Currently has a CEL code for the purge sensor. New clutch and radiator at time of install. Original VW 4-speed gearbox.
- New power steering rack and tie-rod ends in 2007
- New moonroof replaced broken plastic roof hatch in 2008
- New paint in 2009
- New heater core and heater fan in 2010
- New starter in 2010
- New GoWesty camper springs and ball-joints in 2012 (about a 1" lift results)
- New GoWesty 15" aluminum rims in 2012. Tires still in great shape.
- New exhaust header (KEP SS) in 2015
- Interior is all original - no tears, but usual expected wear
- New rear bumper in 2015
- New GoWesty propane tank in 2017
- New GoWesty pop-top canvas in 2016
- Stove and fridge work. The fridge is original - thus does not get very cold.
- Manually operated switch to charge the house battery.
- Easily removable middle seat (from a different VW) - becomes the couch when camping.
- Installed rear shoulder-style rear seat belts in 2008.
- 3-bar roof rack is homemade, but looks good and is very strong.
- Retractable awning is older, has small tear, but works fine.
Cash only. Located in the Finger Lakes region of central NY.