1974 Westfalia "Westy" Yosemite Yellow Price: 19500 obo
This is a 1974 VW Westy in the original "Yosemite Yellow" or "Bali Yellow" color. This is the ORIGINAL bright yellow/green stage II paint.
Here's the story on this bus:
In 2013, I shopped for a 1974 Westy model as I wanted something I could take on excursions with three kids facing forward. This is one of the few models with this feature (no rear facing seat in the 1974). I also wanted one of the more interesting colors. This is it. The bus came with a brand new, original and pristine engine which I believe it is the 1.8L engine, with dual carbs.
The seller I purchased from sold it in poor running condition. The bus arrived in worse mechanical and physical condition that I expected---but with a pristine new engine as expected. I found a true air-cooled VW expert in San Clemente who spent several days assessing the condition and determined that the engine was pristine, but it had not been built or installed correctly. So, I bit the bullet and devoted another $2100 to a complete engine rebuild. This was the best thing I ever did.
I had the original paint restored to its original luster and added an "Opticoat" to maintain the look. The paint looks as though it had just come from the showroom floor (see the pictures). In the hard to reach spots (behind bumpers, tight areas, and sliding door), the paint is slightly duller. There are a few smaller dents and scrapes based on the vehicle's age, which should be expected for a vehicle of this vintage. I also had the roof, wheels, and bumpers painted in matching white and had a stereo/CD player installed.
I have enjoyed Ed the past several years taking a few short camping trips, surf safaris, or some fun family dinners down Coast Highway. I calculated the mileage since purchase. At purchase, the bus odometer showed 20,359 miles. The odometer now shows approximately 22,000 miles. So, I have put about 1,600 miles on it in 6 years in total or less than 300 miles a year. This is the one vehicle I have that has been kept in a closed garage parked for its entire time. It does NOT get parked outdoors.
My kids are now 21, 20, and 18 and the bus does not get use by the family any longer so itís time for a new home.
If you are serious, please contact me. I would like ot sell this bus so send your serious offers and get a new baby for the summer. I would strongly suggest you travel to see it or send a rep. This sale will be final so please be sure you are sure.
Here's the high level summary:
1. Best color ever made - Yosemite Yellow, Bali Yellow, etc.
2. Three-person forward facing rear seat with no rear facing rumble seat (Westfalia's best design)
3. The wide bench makes for a wider, more comfortable bed when camping
4. Comes with premium front spare tire covers to fit your mood (peace sign, VW logo)
5. Comes with expensive roof rack for luggage, surfboards, etc. This is the rack that clips onto the clips shown on the roof. This is invaluable for travel.
6. Brand new, original, mint condition engine!! This is what sets this bus apart from all others. And, based on the ~1,600 miles the engine has on it, it is barely even broken in.
7. Replaced gas line (this is a $7 part and a $1500 repair...!). Ensures no leaky gas smell)
8. Minimal to no rust underneath
9. It's nice and straight and drives straight
10. New tires; I replaced all tires when I bought it
11. New windshield.
12. Interior is in excellent condition with no tears and bright colors. Exception is the driver's seat which has some wear.
13. Comes with original hammock for front seats
14. Comes with original hubcaps (I have kept them off as I like the look of the white wheels)
15. Comes with custom made Mexican Blanket drapes - which look awesome and black out the interior when camping! I'll share the story about these with the buyer. They are special.
16. I will include all repair records that I have as well as those from previous owner
17. As far as mileage, our best guess, based on the bus condition, is that it turned over once (the odometer turns over after 99k miles). There is no way to know for sure. But, given that the engine is brand new, you may be able to get 30-40+ years out of it if you keep it in tip top shape.
18. Will include a brand new, never used or installed top tent to replace original one.
The Not So Good:
1. Sliding door was replaced by previous owner and not in as good of condition or perfect paint match as rest of bus. My plan was to pile that door with stickers
2. The front panel (around the spare tire) shows pitting and teeny rust specks.
3. Strange small hole was drilled in back of bus which shows rust around edges.
4. Body has a few dents and dings here and there. Pictures tell the story; it is very clean overall. But, not perfect.
5. Has an old bumper sticker "GoldWing Road Riders Assoc" on rear (I like it but you may not). Near this sticker is a very small ding on the rear of the bus that shows an imperfection.
6. Passenger window takes extra effort to roll open and close. Driver window works great.
7. Strange key situation: ignition key opens passenger door, back door, and sliding door. Driver door is a separate keyway.
8. Interior wood paneling Formica peeling at edges with pieces that snapped off (I will include all pieces I have as you may want to glue them back down)
9. Unsure of functionality of fridge, stove, or sink. I have never even tried to hook them up or operate them. The exterior connectors do show rust and wear.
10. Original Pop-Up tent has snags with small holes but is functional. I am including a brand new, never used tent that you can use to replace the old tent (a project I never got around to).
11. Front floor mat has seen better days. Easily replaced.
12. Interior fluorescent light was accidentally knocked from roof; needs anchors repaired/replaced to be to hook back into place.
14. Left rear blinker light fell out and has been removed (light in glove box; should be an easy repair but unsure about wiring).
I am happy to answer questions and provide whatever info I can. I am not mechanically inclined, so know that when asking questions. Serious inquiries only. I need to move this bus so send you serious offers.