1974 Karmann Ghia Coupe Price: 8500
Drive and Idle Video:
Parts List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Iyo2V8d84legG_znXXjkxYcijqyenKuiEP6j6IdN6qs/edit?usp=sharing
'74 VW Karmann Ghia
Rare Autostick transmission
Mechanically restored, runs great. All receipts and PPI report available.
New headliner and full exterior rubber kit included if next owner wishes to respray.
Ohio title in hand, but car was just brought out to Redwood City
Smog exempt ('75 is cutoff year)
I purchased this car in Pataskala, Ohio on August 1, 2015. Unfortunately, I donít have much history from the previous owner (PO), other than he had the car for a few years and in that time had repainted it himself. The car was mechanically sound enough to drive back to Columbus, but clearly needed some love. My intention was to bring the Ghia back to the condition of a comfortable and reliable cruiser. In the summer of 2015, I began with an overhaul of the front suspension and chassis. In spring of 2016, I removed the engine, replaced the top end and cleaned up the engine bay. Later that summer I focused on the interior upholstery and seating.
Iíve detailed the work performed and condition of the major vehicle sub-categories below. I have also attached a full list of parts used in the build. I have receipts for nearly every item purchased and a PPI.
All missing engine tin replaced or cleaned, installed new working thermostat. New alternator and carb set up for Autostick vacuum line. Fresh Rotella oil and plugs, lines, and points. It takes some warming up when cold, as otherwise it will stumble at low RPM. Once warm, itís smooth and reliable. Some oil leaking from the left valve cover, though gaskets recently replaced. The aftermarket bails arenít as tight against the valve cover as they could be. The exhaust was replaced with a 2-Tip EMPI unit that clears the Autostick ATF pump. New gas tank and filter.
The Autostick system works as intended. Iíve replaced the major vacuum lines and servo diaphragm. Flushed with clean Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc ATF.
New H-beam front suspension with fresh grease and bushings, at stock ride height. New upper and lower front ball joints with refurbished control arms. Fresh front wheel bearings and spindles. New steering rack and steering rack bushing. Replaced front and rear dampers. Steering and suspension is tight, but supple.
Wheels & Tires:
I replaced the wheels with stock steelies, 4.5x15Ē. I did not replace the tires from the PO. The tires are Nankang CX-668 165/80R15 and have a manufactured date of July 2015. All tires have 8-9/32 of tread left.
New front rotors, pads, master cylinder with pressure switches, and recently flushed with new brake fluid. Rear rotors still have life in the drum shoes and the parking brake is functional.
The previous owner painted the full car orange with no clear coat. While this took care of most imperfections, it was not a Concours job. In the sale I'll include a full vehicle seal set ($700) in case future plans mean respraying the entire car.
Rust is visible in the rear fender wells and back portion of the rocker panel. Floor pans and headlight bucket appear solid. I treated and repainted the chassis in front of the firewall when installing the front suspension.
While I replaced the side chrome pieces, they are not well affixed to the body and occasionally fall off when the door is closed. I find this is a good moment of comedic relief when passengers enter the car.
The rear bumper was in bad shape, and replaced with a good condition bumper and brackets.
The right rear corner looks to have been hit at one point, which is visible on the engine deck.
Replaced full carpet set and removed all old insulation to be replaced with Dynamat. New door cards. Seats re-foamed and reupholstered. Headliner has some holes and is not in great shape, but a new sand tweed headliner kit will be included ($165) to finish the job. The dash upper has some cracks, as does the face plate. A new faux wood grain face plate will be included.
Headlights, turn signals work. The reverse light of the transmission got into a tangle with the fan shroud and would need to be rewired. Interior lights work, but the clock gauge does not. Speedometer works, and the fuel level works occasionally. Headlight stalk switch will not engage high beams. There is a head unit installed, but I removed the old speakers when repaneling the doors.