VW Camper Panel 1973 Original owner 1973-2018 Price: 21,000 obo
VW Camper Hightop Panel 1973 Original owner 1973-2018
21,000 obo Partial trades for split bus (nothing too rough(rust wise) uncles a 21 or 23 window or double cab)
This is a 1970’s Time capsule and I almost feel like it would be a great museum piece but could be your love and joy! I bought this bus from an estate sale as the original owner had passed on. He was a meticulous man (engineer by trade). The owner purchased this bus new from Harmon dealership Akron, Ohio. In the 70’s and 80’s the bus went on cross country excursions from the East coast to the West coast and lived most of its life in Colorado. The bus still has the original window sticker, manuals and any original documents from the dealer (including license plate frames. I even have the original keys and VIN stamped plate that came on the key from the dealer. The bus does have 123,465 original miles all documented through a log filled out between gas fill ups/mileage/destination and miles per gallon. All documentation was also recorded through a yearly emission inspection print out from the state of Colorado documenting the mileage. I feel like the bus has all receipts from anything purchased for the bus and work done by the mechanic. There is a thick binder of all receipts and documentation (photos).
This bus was bought as a panel van and he converted this bus to a camper. This camper was well thought out. All walls we insulated and bus is heated with a propane heater while camping. Interior lights can be operated off the battery and some are off propane. The underside of the bus he installed 2 propane tanks to run the gas stove, heat and lights. The propane tanks look like the same ones from a Baywindow, Westfalia. He installed a beautifully done sun roof that opens and closes well. When I bought the bus I restored a fiberglass high top and installed /also restored the windows/rubber seals. This whole bus is very meticulous and in not a crappy homemade job (he was an engineer). The interior is finished off with cork which really captures the time period.
-Under rear bed is a cooler
- Stove with separate propane tank under bus
-Water tank and sink with hand pump water or electric
- No curtains need as the rear window can be shut off with sliding panel as well as front driving seats.
-Passenger seat can be spun around to face the camper cabin.
-Interior lighting can be set as mood lighting as white, red, or green
- Storage compartments galore.
- Sunroof can be closed at night when camping to keep it nice and warm.
-Pop-top can be outfitted with a bed but currently is not. Offers plenty of storage.
-Front seats are showing signs of wear. I did remove the seat cover on drive side to show you the cracking and also how it also matched the back interior.
- Original front door panels
- Persian carpet from the 70’s
-Cork in the back
-Cassette tape, CB to talk to the trucker and tape holder all in the glove box
- On second paint job in original Neptune blue color. Paint is currently showing signs of aging.
- Hail damage showing only on the driver side.
- Very solid bus (no holes in body) front floors are super solid!
- Comes with 2 extra original paint matching/ date stamped rims with good shape SEARS studded snow tires.
- 4 original paint commercial hub caps (currently not on bus)
- All glass good
- All original exterior light lenses.
-Doors open and close the best out of any of the 30 VWS I have owned in my past.
-All lights work as they are supposed to.
-Runs and drives great.
-Engine was rebuilt at 85,470miles at Alpine Volkswagen Authorized Service Denver, CO (all documented)
-Engine also leaks a little bit of oil as they all do
- Check out photo of original smog equipment I found in a box.
-Transmission shifts smooth and does not pop out of gear.
* This is one of the most documented 1 owner busses I have ever seen in my 25 years in VWS. Again this is a time capsule bus that documents the 1970’s and 80’s VAN LIFE. I know in the past 20 years the bus saw sometimes under 100 miles a year and some years it left the garage just to go to the emission station and driven back into the garage. Suspension is tight and seems almost new…..
*Check out photos of extras that came with the bus. Velvet curtains, spare tire cover, bra, original Neptune Blue made in Germany VW spray paint etc…….
* Is this bus perfect…NO. This is a great example of a survivor bus that is is in amazing shape. Not a show winner but would be a great camper or daily driver.
*pictures of interior dosent do this bus justice
* I thought I would keep it for 20 + years but I recently bought a split double cab and want to put my time and energy into.
*I made a copy of the original Colorado title in 1975 before I had to turn it into the DMV. Clean title now in my name.
* I'm open to offers. I'm not in a rush to sell it. I don't do payment plans. If you are serious I can give you a call if you leave your phone number.
Please no tire kickers or dreamers. Not trying to be harsh. Thanks for reading. Mitch
Thanks for viewing. When you respond to an ad I will get back to you as soon as I can. VW's are my hobby, I work a full time job and will ship (normally 3 days). If price includes shipping, I will ship in whatever method is cheapest. All shipping quotes are only for in the USA. Not HI or AK. You are responsible for insurance if you want it. I'm not an expert on all parts so please know what you are buying. If you need more pictures just ask.