1990 Vanagon w Rooftop Solar + Custom Features Price: $8000
Four-Speed Manual, not on original engine, has spent much of the last three years living in a covered/protected garage in LA. Exterior is in good shape, interior is nice, and runs like a dream.
PLEASE READ: GUS IS A VAN THAT HAS BEEN TREATED LIKE A DAILY DRIVER FOR ME FOR THE LAST 6 MONTHS AND BY PREVIOUS OWNERS. HE'S A ROUGH DIAMOND, NOT A DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH, AND THAT IS REFLECTED IN THE PRICE. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A WESTY THAT YOU ARE NOT GOING TO HAVE TO WORK ON OR MAINTAIN, THIS IS NOT IT AND GO BUY ONE OF THE $20K BUSSES. IF YOU WANT A BUS THAT RUNS GREAT, CAN HANDLE SOME WEAR AND TEAR (AND HAS DONE SO ALREADY), AND WILL NEED TO BE LOOKED AFTER AS A PROJECT, HE IS PERFECT
Odometer reads over 290K miles on it but Carfax indicates odometer might be broken. 2.1L Water Cooled Engine.
Lots of custom work put into it!
- Rooftop solar panel connecting to an Aux Battery to charge any and all devices.
- Custom wood roof rack w/ storage space and ladder
- Custom wood gear box w/ 2 large cup holders
- New radio and speakers
- Custom curtains
Purchased in 2017 - put tons of work into it at BusLab in Oakland before taking it on a long roadtrip around the National Parks of the West. Handled that perfectly.
Smog check passed in 2019 (with flying colors), registration valid through May 2021.
Just brought it in for a new water pump to Quality Automotive in Whittier where they specialize in VWs.
Drives great - mechanic commented on how good it sounds.
For more details, see below.
- Runs smoothly - no driving issues
- CB Radio: If you're into that type of thing.
- Stereo w/ Aux Cord.
- Safe included: For keeping things safe while camping.
- VW Parts Book: The bible of self-maintenance
- See custom details
- Armrests have come off on driver and passenger seats
- CB Radio is disconnected - needs to be re-linked
- Rusting around the windshield
- Heater squeals when running
- The van was keyed when it was owned by a previous owner. It's on my to-do list to try to paint over it.
- A/C runs, but is not cold.
- Drivers side window has a whine when no windows (driver or smoking) are opened.
- Odometer is broken (not currently updating)