1989 Vanagon GL Syncro 16" Oettinger - 3 knob Price: 38700
It’s time for this very rare T3 Syncro 16” Caravelle (Vanagon) GL to get a new home. I’m the happy owner since 1996 and a lot of work has been done since then.
The original 1.6 TD JX engine has been replaced by a 1.9 TD (AAZ) with an Oettinger water/air intercooler. Diesel pump and turbo had been fine tuned by turbo specialist to work well with the intercooler. The engine has also been overhauled and all the needed parts replaced, (timing belt, water pump, fuel lines, etc). Brakes and all needed suspensions parts were also overhauled. Of course both diff locks are working as the front decoupler with the third knob.
The van got a full body restoration and doesn’t have any rust. I put it back to its original condition for selling. I used her with kids for several years with an original Westfalia interior like bench seat, internal roof case, table, etc. that I got from an old original 2WD Westfalia camper. This Westfalia equipment could be part of the package. If interested feel free to ask.
- Original Caravelle GL Syncro 16” with 1.9L Turbo Diesel + Oettinger Intercooler
- Chassis about 165 K miles, engine 40 K miles since swap
- First registration 1989
- Presently located in southwest of France
- 1.9 liter Turbo Diesel engine (AAZ) with new head gasket
- Bosch mechanical diesel injector pump
- Engine overhaul with new water pump, timing belt, gas lines and seals 2018
- Intercooler (water/air) by Oettinger
- Diesel pump and turbo charger fine-tuned by turbo specialist
- Triple knob front and rear differential locks + driveshaft decoupler
- 6.17 gear ratio
- New 90A Alternator
- 3 additional instruments (oil press/oil temp, turbo boost)
- Full body and paint in 2018
- 2” lift kit
- Heavy duty front and rear tubular steel bumpers
- Large truck-style side mirrors
- Original Syncro 16” steel wheels
- Cooper Discoverer All Terrain 215/85 R16
- Trailer hitch