1985 Vanagon Westfalia Diesel - Joker Edition Price: 11500 obo
Time to sell my '85 Westy, Joker Edition with 202,950 miles on the chassis. These were a European add-on that has various upgrade packages - mine includes a gray water tank and had an auxiliary heat system that used fuel from the main tank (wasn't working, removed). Mine also has a solid glass pane behind the stove instead of a slider window (not plexiglass). The color code is J2J2 Marine Blue, a rare color that I've only seen a few times. DIESEL TITLE IN HAND for anyone wanting to do an engine swap to whatever they want.
- 1.9 AAZ Turbo Diesel, near zero mile engine purchased from Quality German Autoparts in January 2019. I installed the engine, had it running and my mechanic informed me I had a front crank shaft seal failure, likely when a locking pin was installed. Engine has sat since March 2019 with me rotating it by hand. Sadly, I just don't have the time or energy to get her back running steadily.
- Injector pump and all injectors were rebuilt by Giles @ Performance Diesel in May 2018. Fuel line replaced with upgraded Tygon fuel line, new filter (changed regularly).
- EGT and oil temperature gauges added (Aircraft Spruce probe, Bosch temp sensor)
- "GeeBee" silicone coolant hoses for AAZ ($675)
- Volvo intercooler setup (not installed currently) which hides behind the drivers tail light.
- Boost controller
- New engine mounts and rubber bushings in carrier bars
- CV seals replaced Jan '18
- 600 W Pure Sine Inverter powered by a Yellow Top Optima and 100W Renogy panel (aluminum frame, can be mounted) running to a MPPT75/15 Victron Energy charge controller and a bluetooth dongle to pair to their app (nice to check what angle it's best at). Will need new wires from the panel to charge controller.
- Aux Dewalt battery charger installed allowing shore power to hook up, power outlets (installed) and charge both the house and starting battery (original battery isolator still installed).
- I have a Blue Seas battery isolator, NIB to replace the OEM but since it works, I left it alone.
- Original fridge deleted, replaced with shelving. Engel MT45 portable fridge sits behind the passenger seat.
- Aux LED lighting strips run under the spice tray and on the roof, controlled by dimming nobs under the tray.
- Seats are all original, minor tear on driver seat, dirty rear seat that I just covered up as did the PO.
- Stove works great, no propane leaks.
- Water pump, lines and faucet were replaced. Water storage tank cleaned and replaced. I purchased the pressure valve to hookup to shore water but never needed it.
- Aftermarket '02-'07 Subaru cluster installed and painted to match. Houses EGT, Oil Temp and Boost gauges.
- New canvas tent, replaced by PO using BusDepot tent
- Upgraded Mercedes wheels with less than 2,000 miles on Nokian WRC3 195/70/15 (load rated to 1984 lbs, much more than the 1600 stock came with).
- Thule dual bar roof rack installed with Yakima Space Booster ski box and cargo cage next to it.
- Pop-top lift assist added, rear hatch struts replaced
- Bra came with the van
- ARB awning (needs a leg replaced, wind damage) and custom Vanagon mounts.
- Koni Red shocks (installed rear, front still new in box)
- Sachs clutch replaced less that 2,000 miles ago. Also have additional, NIB.
- Synchro mesh replaced (June 2018)
- Brake pads changed less than 2,000 miles ago.
- Skylight in pop-top is hazy from years of sun but works and doesn't leak. Replacements available.
VW diesel parts - gauge to set lift timing on the pump, locking pin for pump gear, locking plate for cam shaft and an elongated diesel injector socket (thin wall, extra long).
Body - passenger side front tire had a blow out and has some road rash, otherwise there's one ding in the rear passenger on the corner (no paint cracking). Bra covers previous rock chip damage. Overall, the body is a solid 7.5 and has never permanently been in any winter climate.
Feel free to email any questions. I live near San Juan Capistrano and am pretty flexible with availability for showings. Thanks! - Erik