Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding a type 3 cooling fan
Photo link: Forum code:
Rebuilding a type 3 cooling fan
Author Photo
Breslau7
Samba Member

Photos: 150

Rebuilding a type 3 cooling fan Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:46 am     Views: 155      Rating: Not rated

I have replaced my cooling fan for the 3rd and last time.

It had started to hit the side of the aluminium housing and made the usual clattering noise.

Previously I tried 2 methods to fix the problem, both times they failed again within 10000 miles.

Method 1: using the bolt holes.
The bolt holes are no use for stopping play in the fan.
They are only used to pull the fan off.
Leaving them in will unbalance the fan and over time cause the crank to chew out the case.

Method 2: welding the fan
Welding the fan will remove the damping characteristics and also destroy the motor in time.

This time we turned up a mould (this pic) and poured new urethane damper rings.

To put it back together we used dual sided rivets machined from a clutch system and a special rivet tool @ 2.5 tonne pressure.

After that the fan was rebalanced to reduce vibration.

The result is the first new cooling fan for a type 3 in 20+ years.

Testing so far has amounted to 1000 miles with no issues.

View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Share: Facebook Twitter
All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2023, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB
Links to eBay or other vendor sites may be affiliate links where the site receives compensation.