Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kadron throttle shaft bushings, steel backed Tin/Bronze with PTFE
Photo link: Forum code:
Kadron throttle shaft bushings, steel backed Tin/Bronze with PTFE
Author Photo
Kendogsbarn

Photos: 17

Kadron throttle shaft bushings, steel backed Tin/Bronze with PTFE Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:41 pm     Views: 770      Rating: Not rated

(Kaddie Shack inspired) The stock bushings wear too fast on these carbs. These are PTFE-Lined Tin Bronze with Steel Shell, China version. They can theoretically stand HUNDREDS of times the dynamic load of silicon-bronze. "Shaft wobble" will never get as bad as stock, depending on shaft condition. These all passed the "spray for leak" tests. They do not bind if installed with care. Three bushings per carb.
I use a 3/8" drill press and wooden fixture in a drill vise to bring into plumb.
The SHANK of my 10mm reamer is just proud of 8mm, so standing straight up through BOTH of the old bushings on my workpiece and into the chuck will get the workpiece in the ballpark.
I "carefully" step-drill, then ream ONE SIDE at a time, using the opposite side of the throttle plate as a handy guide for the reamer shank. This is possible because the reamer works well on both ends of the cutter. Drill and then ream flat ONLY as deep as the bushing(s) need to fully seat. This leaves some "cheek" on the inside wall of the throttle plate for added support and sealing. This also prevents the possibility of throttle plate "crash" into the bushings. Polish the shafts with small strips of 400 emery and clean/lube with Tri-Flow. Small wear marks and positional binding indicate a bent or damaged shaft. Targeted use of those small strips of emery can also help this.
The bushings are split, but "pinch closed" due to the interference fit.
They are installed using a #10-32 thru bolt with stacked washers and a wingnut, because I am reluctant to "bash them" into an aluminum throttle plate.
The bushings have a press-fit 10mm O.D., and 8mm I.D..
Alibaba-sourced: Marked "0810". They are reasonably priced. I use them. Alibaba has silicon bronze available, too.
McMa$ter-Carr "INA-HO2" 26679K12 bushings. The gap is notably wider. I stopped using them.
The reamers (10mm and optional 8mm straight) and drill-stops are available on fleabay. The 10mm is about $17 w/ $5.00 ship.
The 8mm (optional) will clear minor burr

View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Share: Facebook Twitter
All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2023, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB
Links to eBay or other vendor sites may be affiliate links where the site receives compensation.