Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '70 commercial Kombi, back on the road for the Very first time since 1972/73 (yes, it's been that long)
Photo link: Forum code:
My '70 commercial Kombi, back on the road for the Very first time since 1972/73  (yes, it's been that long)
Author Photo
lastchancevw
Samba Member

Photos: 225

My '70 commercial Kombi, back on the road for the Very first time since 1972/73 (yes, it's been that long) Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:18 pm     Views: 43      Rating: Not rated

The original owner bought it new in 1970 when he started a Piano store in Fall River MA, called "Music Mansion"

Some time between 1970 and 1973 he had a fender bender, and my dad bought it as a somewhat parted out wreck, back from the original dealership, Fall River Motor Sales , on 7/20/73

Growing up most of my life it was stored upstairs in a nice, dry garage. very well preserved though it had some strange places where it rusted out, like the rain gutters and a few other weird places. But it only ran on New England roads for one or two years tops. At some point the engine and transmission was taken off it.

In 2008 I brought it to my new place, tried to take care of the bent B pillar, and only in the last month or so did I really push to get it road worthy. I was aiming to get it ready for Transporterfest 2017 and had it running and driving, but everything too far longer than I anticipated, and a rear brake drum heating up eventually kept me from making it to the show.

It's completely rust free underneath. It's never fallen into the hands of hippies. It's a time capsule straight from 1970. I'd say the parts on it are 99% German. Once I get the brake issues sorted out, I will be back next year, and more importantly, will be hitting other shows and swap meets in New England as this bus is far far far more solid than the one I was driving before, which was ready to break in half.

This thing is perfect underneath, which is amazing for a New England car. It's not like it came from Florida or California and then to New England.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Share: Facebook Twitter
All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2023, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB
Links to eBay or other vendor sites may be affiliate links where the site receives compensation.