Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbine Time - 7
Photo link: Forum code:
Turbine Time - 7
Author Photo
Exaktaphile
Samba Member

Photos: 239

Turbine Time - 7 Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:33 pm     Views: 22      Rating: Not rated

I bought a 50 foot Tuff-Guard garden hose that's been recommended on other sites because it fits the specs for a turbine and is half the price.

I don't have a gun yet so I'm replicating the pressure changes of spraying by covering/uncovering the end of the hose at intervals one might use when shooting. The motor is set on the low speed (4-stage).

After 30 minutes of "spraying" and "dwelling", the hose fitting at the box is too hot to handle comfortably and the hose is getting warmer and warmer. Also, I'm getting 170f out of the air bleeder tube when I stick the thermometer in the tube. The 170f may be a false reading and is actually heat off the tube/casting.

I went through some manuals and it's clear most mfrs. are using the air hose as a heat exchanger (more like heat absorber). Hose isn't a great heat conductor so this explains mfrs. who make insulated guns so your hand doesn't get hot. I wonder how hot the sheet metal boxes of those units are getting. I noticed the 6-stage Capspray 115 is housed in plastic.

Speaking of hot air. Advertisements and users say these blow warm, dry air. The turbine heat magically eradicates water from the air! How does it do this in a relatively closed system? Does the turbine split the water molecules and convert them back into hydrogen and oxygen gas? Meteorological fact; hot air holds more water than cool air.

When I first installed the new hose and turned on the machine, I had a few drops of condensation at the gun end. After things heated up, it evaporated out the open end of the hose. Warm your machine up and spray some air before adding paint!

More things to consider. If we cool the air, the output temp needs to stay above the dew point or the air may dump it's water inside the hose. Perhaps it will be better to stay on the warm side to ensure the humidity stays put? I've never seen any complaints of blush problems... Next, I'll try the easiest method of cooling - coiled hose in a bucket of water.

View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Share: Facebook Twitter

All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2018, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB