Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbine Time - 8
Photo link: Forum code:
Turbine Time - 8
Author Photo
Exaktaphile
Samba Member

Photos: 241

Turbine Time - 8 Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:06 pm     Views: 32      Rating: Not rated

One of the reasons I got a 50-foot hose was to try coiling part of the hose in a bucket and still have a good length for painting. It appears turbines heat constantly rises as you spray so I want to stabilize the temp. or at least knock a few degrees off the top.

I coiled 10 feet of hose, 3 feet from the turbine. The bucket has 8-10 inches of cold tap water that's 70F.

The 3 foot straight run of hose gives the hottest air molecules room to disperse in the air stream. Apparently, some of these hoses can melt without a short straight run in the hose. The hose coils easily into a 5-gallon bucket.

Let's think about what the air in the hose does when you're actually spraying paint. The pressurized air in the hose starts and stops repeatedly, moving a little every time you pull the gun trigger. With the water coil, blocks of air stop, get cooled, and then move on down the line. This will work if you're a painter who starts the trigger with each direction change. If you hold the trigger down constantly when you spray, this won't work, as the air won't have time to stop and get cooled. However, we do have 40 more feet of hose - the longer your hose, the lower your gun pressure will be.

This worked so well, I thought my thermometer was broken. After 1/2 hour on high speed with repeated blocking/unblocking the hose, the air at the gun fitting was 72F. My last test at low speed with no cooler was 105F at the same fitting. Looks like we can tune air temps by adding warmer or cooler water. The main thing I'm after is a stable output temp.

My next idea was an aftercooler with a fan (probably a better idea). The advantage of air cooling is something you guys already know.

I scored a new Apollo 7700 Atomizer (redesign of the 7500). Apollo was pretty cool to sell me one before it was listed in their web store.

View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Share: Facebook Twitter
All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2023, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB
Links to eBay or other vendor sites may be affiliate links where the site receives compensation.