Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Sender Hole and Cover on my 72 Baywindow
Photo link: Forum code:
Fuel Sender Hole and Cover on my 72 Baywindow
Author Photo
wildDogPizza
Samba Member

Photos: 54

Fuel Sender Hole and Cover on my 72 Baywindow Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:06 am     Views: 19      Rating: Not rated

I debated whether to cut a hole or not. I got the tank cover panel off by lowering the engine and trans by about 1 1/2". The tank had like 10 gallons of gas in it, a 65 lb tank of sloshing flammable liquid. I thought about taking off the filler hose and pulling it back far enough, on top of the motor - which might not even have been enough clearance; that and the thought of the sender repair I'd done breaking (I'd broken the tiny wire while drilling the top, fixed it by knotting the broken end to the copper ring, which I'd bent up to bridge the difference in the wire's length, and soldering it) - It all led to the hole making sense.

I used a 3 1/2" hole saw and fabbed the plate out of a 6 1/2 x 5" square of sheet metal cut from a dented 914 front lid that I have around. Some creative clamping of scrap strips of 1/4" plate that I found in the shop, bent it by hand to corrugate it, rounded the corners on a bench grinder, made the holes with self tapping screws, sprayed it with rustoleum, attached rubber strips to the parameter of the bottom with weatherstrip adhesive. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good, no gaps. It's a deluxe bus so it is under the carpeted board.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Share: Facebook Twitter
All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2023, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB
Links to eBay or other vendor sites may be affiliate links where the site receives compensation.