Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original ATE 1970 bus master cylinder vs new Varga
Photo link: Forum code:
Original ATE 1970 bus master cylinder vs new Varga
Author Photo
lastchancevw
Samba Member

Photos: 225

Original ATE 1970 bus master cylinder vs new Varga Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:02 pm     Views: 17      Rating: Not rated

So here's a comparison of innards of an original two brake circuit switch ATE master cylinder versus the one switch replacement sold at Bus Depot and other retailers.

ATE is the aluminum piston on bottom, the bronzeish one is the new Varga one.

I had removed the original ATE MC out because though it stopped the car, the seal that keeps fluid from leaking out the end leaked. I installed this red one and never got anything but air in the lines, even after spending hours and hours bleeding the brakes. I got frustrated and then took them off and decided to cannabalize the new one to see if I could get the original working again.

As you can see, the innards to the Varga are different, and lack a chamber for the second switch, as well as that innermost spring is shorter. Also, the copper screw was fairly deformed but I don't know if I was the one who overtighetened it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Share: Facebook Twitter
All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2023, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB
Links to eBay or other vendor sites may be affiliate links where the site receives compensation.