Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oettinger Wasserboxer in 1303 Cabrio
Photo link: Forum code:
Oettinger Wasserboxer in 1303 Cabrio
Author Photo
Rome
Samba Member

Photos: 4412

Oettinger Wasserboxer in 1303 Cabrio Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:50 am     Views: 170      Rating: Not rated

In March 1997 a colleague and I were in Bavaria for a business trip. Over the weekend we visited the EFA Auto Museum in the village of Amerang, east of Munich. I was thrilled to see that a visitor drove a dark blue Super Beetle Cabriolet. I could peek through the engine cooling vents and see there was no upright fan shroud on the engine, but could not identify what it was. Further luck was that the owner was leaving so I could speak with him a few minutes. Said this was a regularly offered conversion performed by Oettinger at their facility near Frankfurt. The heat exchanger was under the rear seat on the left side, opposite the battery. I don't remember where the coolant radiator was located. The engine conversion was very well done, with as many factory parts from various models, mostly the Vanagon (designated T3 in Europe). I was surprised at how well the longblock fit into the original engine space. Car had wide 5-spoke ATS alloys. Small red light on lower left under bumper is a rear fog lamp.

View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Share: Facebook Twitter
All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2023, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB
Links to eBay or other vendor sites may be affiliate links where the site receives compensation.