Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intake manifold makeover
Photo link: Forum code:
Intake manifold makeover
Author Photo
Rome
Samba Member

Photos: 4412

Intake manifold makeover Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:39 am     Views: 25      Rating: Not rated

To smooth the grinding marks off I used the metal file. Worked it along the direction of the pipe to make the most use of the length of the file blade to achieve the best levelness. Used the half-round file surface on the underside tight curve of the pipes. Then used the 80 grit emery cloth strips to give final smoothing. Ran the cloth side to side over the pipe surface like shining shoes with a polishing cloth. Spent about 1/2 hour on each preheat pipe with this filing and sanding.

When I was satisfied with the evenness of the preheat pipe surfaces, I wiped the entire manifold with Prep-Sol cleaner, and applied 2 coats of POR-15 intake manifold high-heat grey paint using the dense foam roller. Waited until the first coat was dry overnight before applying the 2nd coat. The paint left a nice uniform surface finish.

The one shot of the back side of the left preheat pipe shows the light pitting usually seen when other manifolds are sandblasted and ceramic coated. I did file the rust pits down somewhat, but did not bother to fully smooth the surface because it's out of sight when the manifold is in place.

View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Share: Facebook Twitter
All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2023, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB
Links to eBay or other vendor sites may be affiliate links where the site receives compensation.