Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 VW 1600 Type 2 engine compartment with W-series Type 4 engine
Photo link: Forum code:
1973 VW 1600 Type 2 engine compartment with W-series Type 4 engine
Author Photo
NASkeet
Samba Member

Photos: 1104

1973 VW 1600 Type 2 engine compartment with W-series Type 4 engine Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:10 am     Views: 72      Rating: Not rated

These annotated grey-scale pictures show a trial fitting of my 1911 cm³ displacement, W-Series, VW 1700 Type 4 style air-cooled engine (from an early 1972 model-year, VW 412 E/LE Variant – Station Wagon in USA parlance) with 1974~75 VW 1800 Type 2 cylinder heads (41 mm inlet & 34 mm exhaust valves | DIY gas-flowed valves & combustion chamber) and 96 mm “bore” NPR cylinder barrels & flat-crown, full-skirted, cast pistons.

All of the of vertical ribs of fuel-tank-compartment bulkhead (i.e. firewall in USA parlance), have a total of twenty one M6 threaded nuts that were welded onto the back in 1982, to provide convenient future mounting points for an electronic-ignition ECU, electronic fuel-injection ECU and/or other components.

The fuel-tank-compartment bulkhead was painted in 1982, with Finnigan’s Hammerite, hammer-finish (effectively camouflages rust-pits and other imperfections), silver-grey enamel paint; as were all the cover-plates for the original AD-Series, VW 1600 Type 1 Beetle style air-cooled engine.

The mounting platform for the original oil-bath air filter, associated with the original AD-Series, VW 1600 Type 1 Beetle style air-cooled engine, has been significantly trimmed back, to enable twin Solex carburettors to be used with the VW Type 4 engine if desired, instead of Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection.

I have yet to choose or design an air-filter housing for the VW Type 4 style engine, but the intention is to incorporate something akin to a bell-mouth entry, to minimise air-flow resistance and noise generation. I also have the VW 412’s black-plastic hot-air hose-connection, from cylinder No. 1 to an air-filter housing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Share: Facebook Twitter
All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2023, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB
Links to eBay or other vendor sites may be affiliate links where the site receives compensation.