Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Standard Beetle with Rajay turbocharger
Photo link: Forum code:
1974 Standard Beetle with Rajay turbocharger
Author Photo
Rome
Samba Member

Photos: 4423

1974 Standard Beetle with Rajay turbocharger Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:13 pm     Views: 50      Rating: Not rated
From the Terryville Bug-A-Fair 2021 event

On my final walk through the VW car show at the Terryville, Connecticut Bug-a-Fair on June 20, 2021 in the early afternoon I spotted a very clean, beige '74 Beetle. It was in the custom area and the only modification I spotted as I came up to the driver's side were the 4-spoke BRM-style rims. I first thought this was a conservative car for the custom area... Walking around to the rear, I was amazed and thrilled to see an original Rajay turbocharger kit! The enthusiastic young man showing the car was named Mike from the eastern New York town of Hopewell Junction. Said his father bought it new at the Jim McGlone VW dealer in Cronton-on-Hudson, NY. He was working there as a mechanic. When the car was delivered, he swapped the original brown seats with black ones from another new Beetle simply for visual preference. Before he even drove the Beetle off the lot, he and a friend stayed late and installed the Rajay kit. The Beetle has only approx. 11,000 miles and is all original! Mike said his dad would wax the Rajay decal on the rear window to preserve it. Also would change the engine oil every 1,000 miles. I asked if he knew the proper pronunciation of the turbo name, being "rah-jay" or "ray-jay". He did not know for certain; neither do I although I remember the Hot VW's article when the Rajay kit was shown, installed on a '70 Beetle with single-port engine.

View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Share: Facebook Twitter
All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2023, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB
Links to eBay or other vendor sites may be affiliate links where the site receives compensation.