Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 Vanagon Westie - to restore or ignore?
Photo link: Forum code:
1980 Vanagon Westie - to restore or ignore?
Author Photo
VanaGlenn
Samba Member

Photos: 86

1980 Vanagon Westie - to restore or ignore? Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:24 pm     Views: 109      Rating: Not rated

just picked up this old van form a barn for a grand with 2 spare engines and parts.
interior is all functional and easy to restore.
but the body is another story and it is an air cooled van.
finding mechanical assistance is a bit harder with the ac.
however, i know i can handle all that with time.
the body is another story and this is where i need to do the math.
how much POR-15 can i afford? i know i won't be restoring to show condition and will likely paint a mural on it rather than a full on paint job.
shots of seam with rust is the worst of them but half of them have it - so all seams will likely need inside inside out attention.
floor is still solid. window rust is worst on windshield but also appears on other windows - not as bad but all will have to come out and be treated and resealed.
roof and canvas are good. all mechanical working but ac carb engine needs some attention run without overheating. got the original on a bench ready for a rebuild if nec.
million dollar question: am i mad?
[me and all the rest!]?

View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Share: Facebook Twitter
All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2023, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB
Links to eBay or other vendor sites may be affiliate links where the site receives compensation.