Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Search found 232 matches
If you want to link to a search on Rome, use:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Rome
If you prefer the summary view, use:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Rome&show_results=summary
Gallery Index Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Search Results
Late Fastback in Glucerna TV commercial
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:48 pm
Size: 1200x678   Views: 23
Rating: Not rated
Late Fastback in Glucerna TV commercial
Rome
Commercial "Little Choices..." Sorry for the terrible fuzziness; I could not find a higher-def version.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Type 3 - Fastback

Forum code:

Bay-window Westy in Citi Cards commercial
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:18 pm
Size: 1300x527   Views: 6
Bay-window Westy in Citi Cards commercial
Rome
I noticed the green/yellow plaid cushion on which the kids are resting, then the cabinets, front seat headrest shape. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vne4FlMOthg

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 68-79 Bus - Campers

Forum code:

'64 Ghia cabrio rear interior
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:48 pm
Size: 1500x1069   Views: 41
'64 Ghia cabrio rear interior
Rome
-Factory original side panels covering the top mechanism wells.
-"Hat shelf" cover in matching black vinyl
-Rubber strap for rear seat backrest which is usually in the center front of the hat shelf is currently a temporary section of a trouser thin black leather belt, so I "erased" it from this shot
-Chrome strip at bottom front edge of trunk area carpet; I can't remember if I put it there 30 yrs ago from a Ghia coupe shelf trim, or if it was already there when I bought the car in late '83.
-Rear seatback carpet as well as trunk floor carpet are remnants of a '70 Ghia coupe carpet, cut down and trimmed in grey-black vinyl to replace the shredded original carpets there.
-Original factory snap and buttons for top boot
-Headliner and under-window vertical face were replaced when the top was replaced in 1986.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Ghia - Convertible

Forum code:

1961 Beetle in Hawaii, June 1963
Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:34 pm
Size: 1400x928   Views: 68
1961 Beetle in Hawaii, June 1963
Rome
My parents, living in Southern Calif at the time, traveled to Hawaii either for a vacation or for a business trip (dad worked for VW Pacific in Culver City, CA). Unfortunately I have no info on the Kodachrome slide box as to any details of the location or the man in the photo. Note the amber turn signal lens; you nearly always only see clear plastic lenses on original fitment. 720 dpi scan, with nearly no color correction needed by the scanner.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 58-up Bug - Sedan

Forum code:

Pre-production US Squareback
Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:23 pm
Size: 1400x895   Views: 50
Pre-production US Squareback
Rome
From my dad's huge family photo collection; a 720 dpi scan of a Kodachrome slide. Taken in 1964, somewhere in Southern Calif. Dad was a field service engineer for VW Pacific in Culver City. VW imported some Squarebacks one or two years before the original market introduction (late '65? for '66 model year) to be distributed among the employees for evaluation, and for service and Parts market preparation. Note the lack of side marker lights! In another photo of the same car it had traditional Calif. "black" license plates. That's my mom and me.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Type 3 - Squareback

Forum code:

Ghia in final chase of "Gone in 60 Seconds" (1974)
Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:48 pm
Size: 1400x730   Views: 20
Ghia in final chase of "Gone in 60 Seconds" (1974)
Rome
Not long into the final, tremendously exciting car chase at the end of the movie, main character Maindrian Pace comes across this parked Ghia coupe. Neither he nor his pursuers hit it.

The yellow '73 Mustang "Eleanor" is barely visible in the background. Ghia would be a '70 or '71 due to the separate headrests and the medium-large taillamps. Research shows the Mustang is actually a '71, modified for the movie to look like a '73.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Ghia - Coupe

Forum code:

Beetle in opening scenes of "The Italian Job" (1969)
Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:39 pm
Size: 1300x601   Views: 12
Beetle in opening scenes of "The Italian Job" (1969)
Rome
As character Roger Beckermann enthusiastically winds his way on the Great St. Bernard Pass road between Switzerland and Italy in his fabulous Lamborghini Miura (V-12 transversely mounted mid-engine!) he passes a '68 or '69 Beetle parked on the left.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 58-up Bug - Sedan

Forum code:

Squareback in 1971 "Columbo" episode
Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:02 am
Size: 1400x1017   Views: 110
Squareback in 1971 "Columbo" episode
Rome
In "Murder by the Book", Columbo stops at a small general store on Big Bear Lake, Calif. The Squareback's headrests indicate either a '68 or '69. Columbo (actor Peter Falk) is next to his ratty Peugeot 403 Convertible in the center of the photo. Trivia: This early episode was directed by Steven Spielberg.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Type 3 - Squareback

Forum code:

1000 Islands Tower, Ontario Canada May 1998
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:15 pm
Size: 1032x1500   Views: 24
1000 Islands Tower, Ontario Canada May 1998
Rome
I had joined the Der Kaefer Fahrer (DKF) club convoy as we all returned from the Michigan Vintage VW Club meet in Auburn Hills, MI held at VW of America's HQ at the time. The tower is just north of the Canada/New York border 20 miles north of the city of Watertown, NY. We had 3 split window Beetles on the trip, an oval, the red/white Hebmueller, a blue Super Beetle, and my Lime Green '77 Beetle.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 58-up Bug - Sedan

Forum code:

Classic VW Bugs' open house 6-25-17
Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:46 pm
Size: 1300x917   Views: 49
Classic VW Bugs' open house 6-25-17
Rome
My green '77 Beetle in foreground, just arrived for Chris Vallone's 2nd open house of the year in Congers NY (Rockland Cty). A few more VWs showed up in the next hour. Chris and his family provided generous amounts of food and refreshments, also enabling the guests to view the latest acquisitions or projects. https://www.classicvwbugs.com/

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
From the Classic VW BuGs Dubs and Coffee Show 2017 event Rows Grid   
In 58-up Bug - Sedan

Forum code:

'77 Beetle first spring drive
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:40 pm
Size: 1500x1067   Views: 63
Rating: 10
Rome
After doing some basic maintenance in the past 2 days as well as adding the new tires from my '70 Fastback wheels, I went on a 60-mile drive after work. Just north of the NJ border I stopped at the original train station in Tuxedo NY along NY Rt 17. Built in 1885, restored in 2009. Next on NY 17, at the abandoned Red Apple Rest. Finally, a small waterfall along twisty Arden Valley Rd in Harriman State Park.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 58-up Bug - Sedan

Forum code:

Size: 1500x1125   Views: 32
Rome
After doing some basic maintenance in the past 2 days as well as adding the new tires from my '70 Fastback wheels, I went on a 60-mile drive after work. Just north of the NJ border I stopped at the original train station in Tuxedo NY along NY Rt 17. Built in 1885, restored in 2009. Next on NY 17, at the abandoned Red Apple Rest. Finally, a small waterfall along twisty Arden Valley Rd in Harriman State Park.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 58-up Bug - Sedan

Forum code:

Size: 1500x1125   Views: 30
Rome

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 58-up Bug - Sedan

Forum code:

Size: 1500x914   Views: 10
Rome

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 58-up Bug - Sedan

Forum code:

Size: 1500x884   Views: 30
Rome

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 58-up Bug - Sedan

Forum code:

Size: 1500x1125   Views: 19
Rome

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 58-up Bug - Sedan

Forum code:

Stainless steel pushrod tubes
Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:50 am
Size: 1500x1074   Views: 40
Stainless steel pushrod tubes
Rome
Here is a strong case for spending a little bit more money for SS tubes. I installed these SS tubes onto my 1970 Fastback 1600cc engine in the summer 2004 during a full rebuild. At same time I had cleaned and repainted the bottom air sled tins using spray paint. I drove the car in the winter snow only a few times when my modern car would not be able to get out of the driveway due to summer tires. Otherwise the Fastback was parked outdoors under a cover and rarely driven. This shot is from 6/2016 when I was getting the engine running again. Even though the air tins were strongly rusted, the PR tubes are barely discolored.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Type 3 - Fastback

Forum code:

Engine case cleaning brush
Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:40 am
Size: 1500x769   Views: 27
Rome
To reach the chambers in the bottom of my engine case for cleaning off animal nest material and other hard residue, I bought a 10" 1/4" socket extension at a large HW store. Also a brass bristle brush with a hex shaft end. I only needed to file off a small amount of the hex shaft sides to press the brush into the extension's hole so that it held firm. Then chucked the square end of the extension into my cordless drill.

I poured some Purple Clean into the case sump with the case tilted on its side, let it sit 5 minutes, put on safety goggles, then started working the case surfaces with the brush at various speeds. Was very effective, especially for reaching over the top of the oil sump pickup dome.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Parts/Accessories - Tools

Forum code:

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:40 am
Size: 1500x1125   Views: 38
Rome
To reach the chambers in the bottom of my engine case for cleaning off animal nest material and other hard residue, I bought a 10" 1/4" socket extension at a large HW store. Also a brass bristle brush with a hex shaft end. I only needed to file off a small amount of the hex shaft sides to press the brush into the extension's hole so that it held firm. Then chucked the square end of the extension into my cordless drill.

I poured some Purple Clean into the case sump with the case tilted on its side, let it sit 5 minutes, put on safety goggles, then started working the case surfaces with the brush at various speeds. Was very effective, especially for reaching over the top of the oil sump pickup dome.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Parts/Accessories - Tools

Forum code:

911-powered '69 Ghia
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:44 pm
Size: 1400x872   Views: 144
911-powered '69 Ghia
Rome
While attending the Bug-Out VW meet in Manassas, VA in May 1985 (possible already in '84) I saw this remarkable '69 Ghia coupe. I remember it slowly driving towards me in the car show access road, making a clean appearance. Sprint Stars, removed rear fender reflectors; no quarter windows; and slightly rolled rear wheelwells. But the engine sound- wow- a very clean installation of a 911 engine. Note the original engine latch relocated to the upper left using a bracket, the custom rera engine cross-support, the wide-exit dual exhaust tips, the engine lid air scoop. I remember that the engine lid closed fully, making this an effective "sleeper".

In the front shot, that's my friend Michael W with the white shirt to the right. He went on to buy and manage the VW/Porsche/Audi dealer Autohaus of Harrisburg in Pennsylvania in the '90's.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
From the Bug-Out, Virginia May 1985 event Rows Grid   
In Ghia - Coupe

Forum code:

911-powered '69 Ghia
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:44 pm
Size: 1400x857   Views: 80
911-powered '69 Ghia
Rome
While attending the Bug-Out VW meet in Manassas, VA in May 1985 (possible already in '84) I saw this remarkable '69 Ghia coupe. I remember it slowly driving towards me on the car show access road, making a clean appearance. 5.5" Sprint Stars, removed rear fender reflectors; no quarter windows; and slightly rolled rear wheelwells. But the engine sound- wow- a very clean installation of a 911 engine. Note the original engine latch relocated to the upper left using a bracket, the custom rear engine cross-support, the wide-exit dual exhaust tips, the engine lid air scoop. I remember that the engine lid closed fully, making this an effective "sleeper".

In the front shot, that's my friend Michael W with the white shirt to the right. He went on to buy and manage the VW/Porsche/Audi dealer Autohaus of Harrisburg in Pennsylvania in the '90's.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
From the Bug-Out, Virginia May 1985 event Rows Grid   
In Ghia - Coupe

Forum code:

Painting my '62 in '76
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:19 pm
Size: 1185x800   Views: 61
Painting my '62 in '76
Rome
Dad and I fixed up my anthracite grey '62 in '75 and '76 enough to paint it in the summer of '76. At the time I considered that color really drab. Now it's one of my top 3 favorite Beetle colors from the '60's. I really liked the bright blue color of my dad's company car '75 Audi Fox, Miami Blue. So dad purchased some Martin Senour brand acrylic enamel primer/sealer and Miami Blue topcoat, we rented a compressor and spray gun from a shop in New Milford CT, and my cousin and I took turns applying the primer and the paint outdoors We pushed back the sunroof and taped the roof opening. Primer was a dull light greenish-grey, and I remember my cuz remarking that was already a cool color just the way it was before the topcoat. It was my first, and only so far, time to paint an entire car.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 58-up Bug - Sedan

Forum code:

Beetles in 1976
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:12 pm
Size: 1400x772   Views: 139
Beetles in 1976
Rome
My 1960 and 1962 Sunroof Beetles in early 1976. The '60 was my first car, bought locally from my dad's co-worker in '74. Was a reasonably solid rolling shell with lots of spare parts. My cousin helped me alot with the wiring, such as coming up with the idea to add the taillights to the W decklid; both of which came with the car. The '68 taillights were junkyard parts. and my dad with the mechanical rework. We had some welding work done at a body shop in New Milford CT (shop is still there as Modzelewski's)- the shop welded the lower corner of the left rear fender to the apron (WTF) instead of simply welding the cracked edge back to the fender, some rust work in the bottom of the left rear quarter panel, and 3-point seat belt mounts. Car still has a front fender mismatch; I ended up buying a 67 left fender. CT plate was from a '60 Ghia rusty parts car from which we removed the 40hp stale air engine which we installed in the '60. Later that year my dad had the '60 painted Saturn Yellow, the '73 SportsBug color which was my favorite.

The '62 I bought for $100 in '75 from a local man who used it as a daily driver but the brake line rusted out, causing him to crash into a car ahead of him. The cracked windshield was from his head... Dad borrowed a porta-tool from work and we pushed out the crunched front apron and banged out the hood. Friend welded up some rust holes. It was originally anthracite grey which I considered a very drab color. The sunroofs on both cars were leak-free.

Dad towed both cars home with his '75 Audi Fox (background). That's me with the yellow ski jacket. I ended up selling both in the fall of '76 to buy a '71 Fastback as a more reliable car to go to college.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 58-up Bug - Sedan

Forum code:

Beetles in 1976
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:12 pm
Size: 1400x881   Views: 140
Beetles in 1976
Rome
My 1960 and 1962 Sunroof Beetles in early 1976. The '60 was my first car, bought locally from my dad's co-worker in '74. Was a reasonably solid rolling shell with lots of spare parts. My cousin helped me alot with the wiring, such as coming up with the idea to add the taillights to the W decklid; both of which came with the car. The '68 taillights were junkyard parts. My dad helped with the mechanical rework- brakes and engine. We had some welding work done at a body shop in New Milford CT (shop is still there as Modzelewski's)- the shop welded the lower corner of the left rear fender to the apron (WTF) instead of simply welding the cracked edge back to the fender, some rust work in the bottom of the left rear quarter panel, and 3-point seat belt mounts. Car still has a front fender mismatch; I ended up buying a 67 left fender. CT plate was from a '60 Ghia rusty parts car from which we removed the 40hp stale air engine which we installed in the '60. Later that year my dad had the '60 painted Saturn Yellow, the '73 SportsBug color which was my favorite.

The '62 I bought for $100 in '75 from a local man who used it as a daily driver but the brake line rusted out, causing him to crash into a car ahead of him. The cracked windshield was from his head... Dad borrowed a porta-tool from work and we pushed out the crunched front apron and banged out the hood. Friend welded up some rust holes. It was originally anthracite grey which I considered a very drab color. The sunroofs on both cars were leak-free.

Dad towed both cars home with his '75 Audi Fox (background). That's me with the yellow ski jacket. I ended up selling both in the fall of '76 to buy a '71 Fastback as a more reliable car to go to college.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 58-up Bug - Sedan

Forum code:

Meyers Manx at Bug-Out 6, 1984
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:52 pm
Size: 1300x809   Views: 117
Meyers Manx at Bug-Out 6, 1984
Rome
At my first trip to the Bug-Out event in Manassas, VA May 1984 I spotted this very well done Manx. The owner was a "military" type man who built the car. I don't remember his connection with the Calif lic plate; maybe he had lived there and recently transferred to the VA area. I remember it was built to a very high standard. Said he fastened the hood to the body using a Riv-Nut tool he ordered from JC Whitney.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
From the Bug-Out 6, Virginia May 1984 event Rows Grid   
In VW Kit cars

Forum code:

Bug Out, Manassas VA May 1986
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:47 pm
Size: 1400x923   Views: 72
Rome
A few photos I took from the drag strip grandstands from my trip in May 1986.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
From the Bug Out, Manassas VA May 1986 event Rows Grid   
In Group Show/Swap/Trip Photos

Forum code:

Size: 1300x736   Views: 55
Rome

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   

Forum code:

Size: 1400x926   Views: 55
Rome

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   

Forum code:

My cat with VWs
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:54 pm
Size: 1500x1114   Views: 34
My cat with VWs
Rome
In June 2016 I spent a few hours working on my '70 Fastback, getting the engine to run and doing some minor cleaning on the inside. My 4 1/2 yr old cat Flitz was interested, and after inspecting the car cover and the interior, spent some time on the roof of my '67 Beetle project.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Type 3 - Fastback

Forum code:

My cat with VWs
Size: 1400x1050   Views: 31
My cat with VWs
Rome
In June 2016 I spent a few hours working on my '70 Fastback, getting the engine to run and doing some minor cleaning on the inside. My 4 1/2 yr old cat Flitz was interested, and after inspecting the car cover and the interior, spent some time on the roof of my '67 Beetle project.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Type 3 - Fastback

Forum code:

My cat with VWs
Size: 1400x961   Views: 37
My cat with VWs
Rome

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Type 3 - Fastback

Forum code:

Squareback in Pearson's Auto Wrecking, Mariposa CA 1995
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:10 am
Size: 1400x872   Views: 170
Squareback in Pearson's Auto Wrecking, Mariposa CA 1995
Rome
Driving on CA highway 49 between Oakhurst and Mariposa (west of Yosemite) in the spring of 1995 I caught glimpses of old VWs through the trees to the west of the highway. Then lots of American old cars from the 50's and '60's. I turned into Pearson's main entrance and asked if I could take some photos of their classics, being from NY and usually only seeing much newer cars in our local yards which were much more severely rusted. Pearson's had 2 large groves of ACVW including this Squareback, numerous Beetles, even a Type 4. Other unusual cars were Renault Dauphine, 1950's Rover sedan, a few Borgward sedans and wagons, even a Crosley. Wonderful experience.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Type 3 - Squareback

Forum code:

On Holland dyke, 1958
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:22 pm
Size: 1500x922   Views: 58
On Holland dyke, 1958
Rome
From my dad's archives. VW company car. It looks like my dad driving, but then since it's his film and camera and he took the photo, it probably is not.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 58-up Bug - Sedan

Forum code:

Oak Creek Canyon, AZ early 1960's
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:21 pm
Size: 1500x997   Views: 52
Oak Creek Canyon, AZ early 1960's
Rome
From my dad's archives. I don't know if he drove that camper during that trip from our SoCal home, or if he just photo'd one that happened to be on the road.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 55-67 Bus - Campers

Forum code:

Canyonlands tour buses
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:19 pm
Size: 1500x947   Views: 142
Canyonlands tour buses
Rome
Seen in Moab, Utah in 4/89 during a Southwest tour with buddy Steve.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 55-67 Bus - Deluxes

Forum code:

Canyonlands tour buses
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:19 pm
Size: 1500x992   Views: 112
Canyonlands tour buses
Rome
Seen in Moab, Utah in 4/89 during a Southwest tour with buddy Steve.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In 55-67 Bus - Deluxes

Forum code:

Ghias on foliage tour, southern NY 2016
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:19 pm
Size: 1500x890   Views: 82
Rome
Sat. Oct. 29 Chris Vallone and his team from Classic VW Bugs hosted a foliage tour for aircooled VWs. Route went from his shop in Congers NY (Rockland Cty) north on the Palisades Parkway, across the Bear Mtn Bridge over the Hudson River, south-east on US Rt 6 to a small rest area just north of Peekskill, NY. Then back over the bridge and through Harriman State Park. Ramsey drove his '60 Ghia Cabrio (top down!), Vince his cherry red '65, and me in my pearl white '64.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
From the Classic VW Bugs Fall Foliage Cruise 2016 event Rows Grid   
In Ghia - Convertible

Forum code:

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:45 am
Size: 1500x1080   Views: 44
Rome
Sat. Oct. 29 Chris Vallone and his team from Classic VW Bugs hosted a foliage tour for aircooled VWs. Route went from his shop in Congers NY (Rockland Cty) north on the Palisades Parkway, across the Bear Mtn Bridge over the Hudson River, south-east on US Rt 6 to a small rest area just north of Peekskill, NY. Then back over the bridge and through Harriman State Park. Ramsey drove his '60 Ghia Cabrio (top down!), Vince his cherry red '65, and me in my pearl white '64.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
From the Classic VW Bugs fall foliage tour 2016 event Rows Grid   
In Ghia - Convertible

Forum code:

Size: 1500x1125   Views: 37
Rome

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Ghia - Convertible

Forum code:

Size: 1500x1028   Views: 28
Rome

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Ghia - Convertible

Forum code:

Size: 1500x1125   Views: 47
Rome

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Ghia - Convertible

Forum code:

Size: 1500x863   Views: 61
Rome

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Ghia - Convertible

Forum code:

Size: 1500x1001   Views: 82
Rome

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Ghia - Convertible

Forum code:

'64 Ghia Coupe
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:24 pm
Size: 1500x972   Views: 131
'64 Ghia Coupe
Rome
Taken early 1995, about a year after I bought it out of Rhode Island. I installed a near-stock 1600 dual-port with Kadrons, and a Beetle dual-quiet pack muffler (right edge of mounting flange is vertical).

Other details:
-Rear bumper aligned level
-Early 1960's Bus VOLKSWAGEN tailgate emblem to replace the missing original Ghia one. The bus emblem is longer and slightly taller, but has the same font. The left two attachment pins lined up with the existing holes in the engine lid.
-Firewall sound insulation panel covered with roofing paper to hide numerous tears in the panel. Glued on. Side panels to the rear of the wheelwell humps also covered with roofing paper.
-Battery relocated to under the rear seat, as in a Beetle. Makes much more room for dual carbs.
-Battery tray to the right of the engine was rotted. I had a Beetle battery tray welded in, which has the same overall size as the Ghia's built thru Dec. 63. Good match to the left indent panel. Car was already painted orange by POs; I found a Krylon spray can which was a perfect match to repaint the engine surround panels after the patching.
-Non-original engine lid; car color is polar blue.
-'67 Beetle reverse light mounted under the bumper using the Beetle bracket, just turned upside-down. Light is activated by a Bus reverse switch at the speedometer cable.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Ghia - Coupe

Forum code:

Image in Craig Elam's former Hebmueller engne compartment
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:05 am
Size: 1000x763   Views: 76
Image in Craig Elam's former Hebmueller engne compartment
Rome
When I enlarged my original scan of the engine compartment photo in my gallery, the image is a small caricature of a VW engine. Perspective is standing from behind the left side of the engine looking down. Looks too detailed to be painted on; most likely a decal. The coil with bracket, pulleys, distributor and header with stinger or single glasspack muffler are visible, also the left end of a stock single-port intake manifold as well as the two left spark plug air seals. What seems to be a green bird or parrot (orange beak; head looking to the left) "embracing" the engine from the back. Its left "arm" is reaching around the right side of the engine shroud, with a hand holding onto the oil filler area (?!).

Original photo was made with 800 DPI. Image is zoomed in 240x, sharpened, and "highlights" slightly increased.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
In Bug - Split-window/1938-53 VWs

Forum code:

Craig Elam's '49 Hebmueller, May 1996
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:33 pm
Size: 1500x1013   Views: 54
Rome
Displayed at the Michigan Vintage VW Club annual meet in Auburn Hills, MI at VW of America's HQ. Also was the inaugural Gene Berg Memorial Cruise.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   
From the Michigan Vintage VW Club 9th annual meet, 5/96 event Rows Grid   

Forum code:

Size: 1500x991   Views: 106
Rome
Displayed at the Michigan Vintage VW Club annual meet in Auburn Hills, MI at VW of America's HQ. Also was the inaugural Gene Berg Memorial Cruise.

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   

Forum code:

Size: 1052x1500   Views: 53
Rome

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   

Forum code:

Size: 1500x1027   Views: 54
Rome

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   

Forum code:

Size: 1500x1052   Views: 74
Rome

View other images:
From Rome Rows Grid   

Forum code:

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 5

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2016, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB