TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Narrow eye baja kit
FreakingGomer Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:01 pm

I recently purchased a baja bug in the early stages of being built, the rear was trimmed and he had the complete kit, Its a narrow eye kit, older, its off of another baja (has been previously mounted) I am in the process of fiberglassing the rear fenders right now, adding some support etc. to repair some of the damage to them. I am mainly wondering if anyone has links or knows where to cut the front for it. I am needing to know, because, well I am a complete virgin when it comes to bajas and vw's in general. I have a friend who is well versed in bug maintenance etc. but He also does not know exactly where to cut so I was hoping you all might have an inkling.

ft_irwin_73baja Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:47 am

i am going to assume you dont have the one piece front end and tell you how i did mine and you can take whats usefull to you or disregard this.

i have a narrow eye kit as well and it didnt come with instructions so i winged it and did this...mount your hood and get that looking nice with whatever sanding you need to do so the lines match the car well and you have it how you are going to keep it. then look at how deep the recess is inside the front piece, what i mean is how much of the front clip is going to slip inside the nose piece so you can bolt them together and it will line up with the hood that is how much you need to have left infront of the hood to mount the nose piece.
i used card board to make a half arsed template of the inside lines of the nose piece so i had somewhat of a design to follow when i made my cut.
now you hold your template up to the front clip forward of the hood at the required measurement to leave yourself enough metal left to bolt your nose piece to, add about 6 inches to make sure you didnt goof and cut off too much......remember it is easy to trim it down a little at a time later to get the perfect fit but if you screw this up and hack off too much you are pretty much FUBAR.
now cut and trim till you have a nice fit and bolt it up.

you can contact MarkV and ask them to mail you a set of their instructions and they may not have any problems with that.

good luck.

FreakingGomer Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:19 pm

thanks, thats a good idea, fitting the hood then marking off of that where the front should be cut, I'll have to remmeber to not cut short, because you can always trim if there is too much material, but welding is a pain in the ass. Thanks for your help

ft_irwin_73baja Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:14 am

definately watch it on the first couple of cuts as i damn near took off too much, after that its just a lot of grinder work and tweaking it till it all lines up well. how about some pics of how it turns out?

FreakingGomer Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:01 pm

I will definately post up some before and after and in progress pics, I got the rear fenders on only to rip the passenger side one off (speed+ditch+travel=no) so thats getting fixed today, the exhausst welded tomorrow and the registration got done yesterday along with insurance so the only thing holding me back is the front end which will be cut next monday I think after my friends dad comes home from mexico.