TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Original Paint.... Let's Talk Patina. Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 80, 81, 82  Next
Red Fau Veh Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:08 pm

Here is my bus as found and then cleaned.

Lind Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:21 am

Red Fau Veh wrote: Here is my bus as found and then cleaned.

you done cleaned the color clean off the bus, and the grass, etc.
I would recommend a less aggressive cleanser.

Red Fau Veh Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:37 am

Here it is then in color, but it is a grey bus so not much difference.

BarryL Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:43 pm

That is just amazing how decent that came out. Your hard work shows.

Klass6 Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:36 am

Hi everyone.
According to the following pics, what do you guys think I should do with the driver side? Repaint the entire green panel and remove the big dent on the left rear corner or just blend the primer and let it as is?
Of course the bus will be buffed out first.
Thanks

DubStyle Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:20 am

If I were the owner, I'd fix as much of the dent I could and leave the paint alone. I would also remove the primer to see what's behind door #1. After you clean up the paint, get it color matched and blend in the primer area with matched paint. As a Bus owner... there is NOTHING cooler than OG paint. I haven't been fortunate enough to buy bus with more than 40% OG paint.

BulletBus Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:38 am

I think the only thing to do here is to ask yourself, what would Jesus do? :lol:

BarryL Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:28 am

That thing is in righteous shape. Nowadays original paint is sacred. Save as much as you can. Is the interior as divine? That corner dent needs healed in the least destructive manner. Getting behind to lay your hands is a miracle but salvation can be achieved.

MrPolak Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:20 pm

ghiafreek Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:31 am

Thought I would share on this thread.
My '66 original paint.

cdennisg Mon May 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Original paint 65 standard bus. Recently driven under its own power for the first time since 1990.

oakman Mon May 30, 2016 6:11 pm

cdennisg wrote: Original paint 65 standard bus. Recently driven under its own power for the first time since 1990.

Wow! How many miles on that beauty?

hitest Mon May 30, 2016 6:30 pm

Stunning cdennis-G!

cdennisg Mon May 30, 2016 6:36 pm

Not sure of the mileage count, but is an absolutely stunning original bus. It belongs to a friend of mine in the Midwest. I recently visited, and we installed a nearly correct engine and took it for its first drive. What a pleasure to have the shifter just click into the next gear as it should!

He has done a boatload of work to reach this point, as the bus was mostly disassembled when purchased, and needed lots of touch up here and there.

Here it is right after we pulled it out of the barn. Yes, it was a true barn find. No kidding.

BulliBill Mon May 30, 2016 6:42 pm

My June 1959 Double-Door Panel in it's original SWR factory but very oxidized paint:

Experimenting with buffing the sides out:

More fun experimenting with rubbing compound:

Finally got this side buffed out... lotta elbow grease and some electric buffing too:

With Lind's help, I scored a much better condition original SWR paint decklid to replace the much more patina'd decklid:

CaLiBus Mon May 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Simply spectacular Bill.! Woo!

oldthingguy Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:37 pm

My 63 single cab - I plan to do the mechanicals but leave the exterior alone - so tired of cleaning cars. haha

cdennisg Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:56 pm

oldthingguy wrote: My 63 single cab - I plan to do the mechanicals but leave the exterior alone - so tired of cleaning cars. haha

As it should be! That truck looks perfect as is.

BarryL Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:56 pm

cdennisg wrote: That truck looks perfect as is.
Yeah, really! What's its story?

Abscate Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:24 am

Lind wrote: Red Fau Veh wrote: Here is my bus as found and then cleaned.

you done cleaned the color clean off the bus, and the grass, etc.
I would recommend a less aggressive cleanser.

There was a special on 55 gallon drums of Dorian gray.
I think the first thing Jesus would do is remove that awful trailer hitch.