TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: pressure in the gas tank?
vwbus67 Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:24 pm

when i open the gas top when im done driving it, it is all build up with pressure and caused my carb to leak. whats the problem?

mintonman Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:37 pm

Is it a vacume?? Does it make a sucking sound when you open it??

vwbus67 Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:38 pm

pressure comes out when i open the gas cap.

mintonman Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:53 pm

WOW! That's strange. Your not using that carbonated gas are ya' :D Was Did this just start all of a sudden?? Was the tank changed?? Maybe there is a later bus tank with a FI return line on it & somthing is pumping air into your tank, or someone through some alkaseltzer in your tank.

BarryL Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:53 pm

The gas expands when it gets hot, is my take on your situation. You have the wrong gas cap or plugged vent in the cap. There are a bunch of the wrong caps going around and being sold by the parts houses even with the right parts numbers. Usually a vacuum forms and the bus feels like it's starving but it still idles. Perhaps you aren't driving that fast and far so you aren't sucking away the pressure. Either way the cap's wrong, in my opinion. Kragen has a chrome cap that fits busses but you have to take yours and match the bottom part cuz the'll tell you they don't have one since it's not in their books.

mintonman Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:57 pm

I had an aftermarket cap that wouldn't let air in & I thought I ran out of gas twice, but finally relized the suction sound when opening the cap. I agree, get a original cap if you can.

vwbus67 Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:04 pm

yeah i think its my cap because i just got a new cap and i never ran it. it was one of my first time driving it. so i was just courious. tanks guys!!