TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My 1952 Swedish Split Window Page: 1, 2  Next
VW_55_VW Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:22 pm

Hey there thought I would share some pictures of my Split, She was Born in August of '52. Working on the pan right now, getting ready for the engine rebuild right now, then on to the tanny. Hope you like.
Gary

[url]

[/url]

eastcoast63 Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:46 pm

nice car! what color you gonna paint it? keep the pics coming.

Anthony

radrob Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:18 pm

Sweet!! Im jealous!!!

VW_55_VW Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:30 pm

Hey there, thanks for the reply.
Her original color is Biege, and I am thinking of keeping her that color. She is straight enough to be painted Black, but I am going back to specs on her restoration. She's a wierd one has some unusaul things that have me perplexed. She ws and August model, but does not have the raised spot above the windshield for the antenna, didn't have a radio but the clock. Yet there is a hole in front of the windshield, I am guessing was for a windshield washer nozzel. Anyone know what year they started the windshield washer, I found someone selling an old glass bottle and pump for a VW. Thinking of getting it.
Cheers
Gary

split window kid Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:11 pm

sweet car, looks really straight. maybe you should paint it black, that is my favorite color on a split. mine was pastal green, but i want to paint it black. in the Feburary 2005 issue of Hot VW's there is a 52' beetle with squirts on it. it had one squirt head withe two nozzles, it also had a bottle under the dash. my 52 never had squirts although it does have a dipple above the windsheild.

VW_55_VW Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:31 pm

Hey does anyone know how I can straighten my bumbers I have the original bumbers but they are wavey and need to be straighten stripped and re-chromed any tips on straightening them? Stick around I have a thousand more questions. I am getting to where I am at my limits on knowledge about theses guys. Have some three fold rag parts issues, not sure if I am missing some parts or not, and more.................
Thanks
Gary

Skim Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:31 pm

Gary Kline wrote: She's a wierd one has some unusaul things that have me perplexed. She ws and August model, but does not have the raised spot above the windshield for the antenna, didn't have a radio but the clock. Yet there is a hole in front of the windshield,

Gary, your car should have the antenna bump above the windshield. A lot of times past body men would flatten it out thinking it was an imperfection. My 52 was the same way. If you feel with your finger thru the hole behind the rear view mirror, you will probably feel where it once used to be. I had to have mine reinstalled by my painter.

In late 52 zwitter model they eliminated the antenna bump.

split window kid Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:49 pm

the place you take the bumpers to have them rechromed should straighten them.

Skim Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:49 am

Gary Kline wrote: Hey does anyone know how I can straighten my bumbers I have the original bumbers but they are wavey and need to be straighten stripped and re-chromed any tips on straightening them? Stick around I have a thousand more questions. I am getting to where I am at my limits on knowledge about theses guys. Have some three fold rag parts issues, not sure if I am missing some parts or not, and more.................
Thanks
Gary

Take pics of the rag parts you do have and we will try to tell you what you need.
Splitwindowkid is right. A good chrome shop should be able to straighten as well as rechrome your bumpers for you.

Wiggy Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:24 am

Skim wrote: In late 52 zwitter model they eliminated the antenna bump.

I've heard that this may have been an item eliminated slightly before the end of the dual dash production. So it MAY be original. I suspect, however, Skim is right. Poke your finger in there and feel around. You will be able to tell.

RareAir Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:41 am

2splits wrote: Poke your finger in there and feel around.

Good advice. :D

spookymulder Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:12 am

That's what "she" said! :twisted: Kevin, PLEASE change your avatar, anyone up for some cottage cheese?!

VW_55_VW Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:11 pm

Yup That is what they did, The bastards!!!!!!! Ok well now How do I fix this. I was really looking at her close out there some more and I really hate when I do that because I always find things that set me months back. Don't ya love it. Well dipped the engine parts last night, took 8 hours to get them clean. They were to say the least NASTY!!! I'll sand blast them Thursday. Trying to get the engine ready for my master rebuild guy....Used to work for Rick Mears Race team. He's an Ol' timer retired now, and works on the side. Only $250 to rebuld my engine plus parts....... Plus he's gonna show me how to reuild the engine. :P
Later
Gary

split window kid Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:30 pm

is the motor the original 25h.p, do you have the orginal transmission.

VW_55_VW Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:22 pm

Yes, And Yes. She is all matching numbers. Keeping her that way, also have another 52 trans being shipped in right now for spare parts, looking for another 25 hp engine for parts if you know of one resonably priced, and in nice condition.
Gary

VW_55_VW Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:26 pm

I'll get some pictures of what I have tomorrow on the Rag Top assembly. Also what size are the bolts the rails screw into? I need to replace some.
Thanks
Gary

53 0val Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:21 pm

spookymulder wrote: That's what "she" said! :twisted: Kevin, PLEASE change your avatar, anyone up for some cottage cheese?!

"Ditto" Come on Kevin, that's just not cool. :shock:

Wiggy Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:45 am

53 0val wrote: spookymulder wrote: That's what "she" said! :twisted: Kevin, PLEASE change your avatar, anyone up for some cottage cheese?!

"Ditto" Come on Kevin, that's just not cool. :shock:

Hey, if everyone else is putting up some hot ladies on their avatar, there is nothing wrong with mine :wink:

For the record, I am not into fatchicks.

spookymulder Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:50 am

Kevin, My money is on the fact that she really has on a pair of grandma's panties for the bottoms and that they just look like a thong! :shock:

Wiggy Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:24 pm

Fine fine. I changed my avatar to my ugly ass split. :wink: