TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oh crap, think my starters giving out
oilspot Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:47 pm

I've been running a 6 starter on a 12v system for a few years now. I just don't run it for more than a few seconds at a time. So here's my problem...
After a below freezing night the other night my bus acted like it had an almost dead battery. I jumped it and off I went. It started as usual for the rest of the day. Next day was warmer, same thing except just enough juice to start off of the battery, barely.
I figured it was my battery because it was a few years old. Just replaced the battery tonight, no improvement. My generator seems to be working fine (light goes off).
I guess it could be my starter connections, but i've never had cleaning them make any difference in any vehicle I've ever owned.
I just though to try tightening the top right engine nut (the starter one). It'll have to wait for the morning.
Any advise would be great in case my first attempts don't work!!! Gotta get to work in the morning.
thanks

langsmer Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:58 pm

Take your bus in to a vw shop, and have them grind out the bell housing of your tranny, then you can put the right fly wheel and starter in. It will be one less thing to fret about. :)

Flipseat Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:25 pm

Make sure all of your connections and grounds are good. Did you check your ground straps? Check the one on the trans, and also the battery ground strap. Make sure the connections are clean.

Also, it may not be a bad idea to check your starter bushing. They can oval out and then the bus will start real hard. If you're worried about the starter, put a 12V solenoid on it. I've run 6V starters on 12V systems with no problems, but after a while (quite a while usually) they can chew up the flywheel. I wouldn't go through the hassle of hogging out the bellhousing and swapping flywheels.

oilspot Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:09 am

I'm running a 6v flywheel also. I think I'm going to replace my neg battery cable while I'm at this

cyberdyne systems 101 Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:17 am

if i understood you correctly you were able to start ok after you jumped the battery, and it worked ok in the day? So that suggests low state of charge to me, you put in a new battery, did it fire up ok when you first changed it and later it struggled? You really need to check the charging is good, then the cabling to starter, also as was suggested the bushing can produce weird symptoms like slow cranking etc. If you can get a good charge and find you have good voltage at the starter then, its either the motor or bushing, substitution is often a good way to test these things.

Arnie

oilspot Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:52 pm

I thought for sure that the started was just loose. So that ended up with me waking my wife and kids up to get a ride to work (they were thrilled!)

I've had quite a few starters go bad and they all just seem to stop working all of a sudden. I put a new starter bushing in a few months back. The starter just acts like it's tired.
As far as the conections, every time I've had a bad connection I just loose all power as soon as i hit the starter.
I'm not saying that a bad connection wouldn't do it. Has anybody had bad connections make the starter run slow?
I'm just trying to save steps. I had a long day at work today and another tommorow so I'd like to spend as little time as possible rolling around under my van tonight.

Mr. Twisted Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:11 pm

You have to make sure that all your battery cabling is good. I've had positive side cables that "look" good, but the starter would not turn over. Replaced the cable, all good. Sometimes you can't see the problem.

oilspot Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:41 pm

problem solved...

I was right about the starter being loose. I've seen the top nut come loose but this time it was the bottom nut (allowing the starter to cock and bind in the bushing).
It sure is nice having a drop pit. especially when you've got to work under your bus and watch your two kids (15 month and 7 year old) at the same time.
thanks for your input and help all!!! It's nice to know you've got other people working with you

cyberdyne systems 101 Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:15 am

not the usual reason for a slow starter as shown in the 'manuals' but interesting to know, glad you got it sorted - and dig having the pit!!!

Arnie

bill may Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:32 pm

try to locate a bosch SR13X 6volt auto stick/automatic starter. no bushing needed. SR17X is 12 volt autostick/automatic starter.