TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Camper light wiring
supplicationjam Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:33 pm

The camper light fixture above my stove in my westy quit working. The bulbs are good, all the fuses are good yet there is no voltage to the fixture wires. Does anyone know where this wiring goes from the fixture? Does it come out of the wall from behind the fridge because I don't see any wires in any easily accessible areas.
Thanks

supplicationjam Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:40 am

For what its worth I'm posting my findings on this wiring. The wiring goes straight from the light fixture to the overhead light above the drivers head and is on the same circuit. In order to repair the faulty ground, I had to remove the shelf over the windows. I also had to remove the front bunk trim so I could get the shelf out. I figured now was the time to upgrade the lighting so I purchased two puck light fixtures. $19.00 each.

I removed the 12v transformer from one of the fixtures to replace the old camper light. The other I left 110v and ran the wiring down the hollow backside of the camper shelf, through the closet, over the water tank and wired it into the backside of the 110v receptacle so now I'll have lighting while camping near electricity.

DanJReed Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:30 am

What type of lights are they?

supplicationjam Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:51 pm

I got them at Lowes and can't remember the brand name but there are two 20watt incandescent bulbs in the fixture.

DanJReed Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:30 pm

Are they the little halogen jobs?

Do they get hot? That was always my worry (along with the power drain.. on 12v).

supplicationjam Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:59 am

Dan, they are halogen and they do get hot but these are made for going under wooden kitchen cabinets and I've had these in my kitchen for years with no problems.
You perked my curiosity on the electrical drain so I turned them on for over two hours straight and then turned them off and the van started right up!