TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What Master Brake Cylinder is Correct for my 52?
VW_55_VW Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:28 am

Car is August of 1952, Realized this morning that I don't have a master Cylinder for my brake system, and need to track one down, have no idea what it looks like for this year. Appreciate your help as always.
Gary

Update:
Pan has been blasted, and is now in the paint shop Trying to get all the parts for the pan ready so when she comes home in a couple weeks, I can be ready for the assembly of the pan. The pan is straighter than expected, very very nice, 1 quarter sized ding, only 18 BB sized dings, and only two rust holes the size of quarters Other than that straight as an arrow. The paint guy Tony was impressed , hadn't seen a pan this old that straight before. Had to admit she was purdy. No rock dents, or pushed up floor boards.
Gary

kafer53 Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:43 am

Hi Gary,
The master cylinder for this model of split window is quite different from the oval ones. It will have the brake fluid resivoir bowl on the top of it and the brake light switch will have two small tread on screw terminals for the brake lights. This master is a pain in the butt when you have to top up the fluid or check the level as it is underneath the car with hard access to it.
These masters are getting really hard to find and are few and far between. I have just bought a repro one for my split from BFY. I think Vintage Parts in Orange County California might also have what you are looking for.