TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I NEED A RADIO AND ANTENNA FOR MY 1982 WESTY
savvygrammy Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:56 pm

Anyone know where I might find one? Can I go to Circuit City and have any radio dropped in?
Thanks!

:D

H-four Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:04 pm

If its a front mount antenna, there are lots of websites that sell them for about ten bucks. If its a side mount, it should be a standard RV type antenna available at most parts stores. Most radios fit.

Did it ever have an antenna mounted?

atarasi Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:20 pm

I've checked into getting a CD player for my Vanagon and according to Crutchfield, only one Kenwood model will fit, although I have heard others will fit with some modification. If your antenna fits on the nose of your van, make sure you get what you're looking for. Some cheaper made antennas don't retract all the way down into the body, but stick up a foot or so.

Ericthenorse Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:36 am

:D most modern stereos are "DIN" style (not sure what it stands for..) they are all the same size.... if you still have the old two post style then you are prety limited..... I would suggest having the dash trimmed to fit DIN style... Unless you are woried about ruining a classic... :twisted:

Methanolab Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:44 am

I drove my van through a car wash with my antenna rusted in the up position. Needless to say I soon watched as it was ripped off at high speed by a huge spinning silicone impregnated rag drum. I took an old antenna I had sitting around and heated up one end and widenend it just a bit in diameter to make it a press fit onto the nub that was left of the old antenna. The technical definition of "press fit" is pieces that are 0.005" close in dimension so they have to be forced together. Any closer and they won't fit, any further and they wont hold. I didn't measure but that is the idea and it is holding up well.

Its true any standard 1 DIN radio will fit. It is a tight fit but thats the way we like 'em right?

savvygrammy Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:23 am

Thanks for the input everyone. I found an antenna thru GoWesty.com and I'm going to continue to look for an old (working) AM/FM on ebay.

DanJReed Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:35 am

Quote: I've checked into getting a CD player for my Vanagon and according to Crutchfield, only one Kenwood model will fit, although I have heard others will fit with some modification. If your antenna fits on the nose of your van, make sure you get what you're looking for. Some cheaper made antennas don't retract all the way down into the body, but stick up a foot or so.

Don't believe the hype. I installed a Sony CD "that would not fit", its tight, but fits fine.

pocvw Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:48 pm

I just got finished installing my Pioneer deck (which fit after I filed the corners a little). I have 6" Sony Xplod's in the doors of my 80 westy, and 5 1/4" Sony Xplod's in the back upper cabinet (that is the biggest that will fit there, with some modification). For me, it is all about restification, or the combination of restoring and modification. I used to want everything to be as original as possible, but bagged that idea because there are so many upgrades available that will make my van rock, and life's too short. Don't get me wrong, I like my vehicles to be very nice looking, but if they were 'show' quality, I would never want to drive for fear of it being ruined, and I buy my cars to drive them and enjoy them. Just my two cents! Enjoy the ride!

Connie Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:55 pm

restification? i like that one. very original one there pocvw. i bet your van does "rock" now that u have all 4 speakers. mine only has the rear two and it is definitely rocking!! by the way, how big are the holes in the door supposed to be? do they make speakers bigger than 6 inches? let me know. thanks!!! connie.

DanJReed Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:06 pm

How did you get the 6" speakers in the doors not to hit the handles?

Got pics?

Connie Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:45 pm

I don't have any speakers in the front doors yet. the guy i bought it from made the holes too big. didn't think about the door handles!! Thanks for bringing that point up! The guy put some clear, circular hard pieces of plastic around the speaker holes, i guess to make the holes smaller, so that the speakers will fit without falling through. glad i brought it up! thanks, connie.

Ericthenorse Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:56 pm

:D I think Volkscafe.com sells special spacers to clear speakers... or you can shim with washers(not suggested)....