TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rubber Floor Mats For 81 vanagon? Do they make them?
Connie Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:23 pm

Hi
i was wondering, are there any ALL rubber floor mats u can get for the front of a vanagon? I have checked a couple of sites, and they are all carpeted floor mats. i have all new carpeting throughout, and there are mats in there now (cheap ones), that the previous owner put it..he cut them to fit and they move around all the time. any ideas anyone? thanks in advance, connie.

ChesterKV Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:23 pm

I'm looking for the same thing but so far nothing. Since I'm using my Van as a work vehicle I like the all rubber look and feel. Makes cleaning a lot easier. Sigh...we'll see if it exists....

DanJReed Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:45 pm

I did the hand cut method after I put new carpet in.

I used cheap ones, and they don't move around. The trick is to turn them around so the "fat" end is under the pedals. Cut a notch for the gas pedal and you are set.

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/vanagon/hacks.htm

I have a pic there. They cost me a whopping $11.

Hope this can help a little.

Connie Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:16 pm

Wow!
i am going to try that with the floormats! what a great idea. and cheap! you have a lot of really good ideas. thanks! connie.

Ericthenorse Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:00 pm

:D www.volkscafe.com has a nice 3 piece kit for the front... just got some on thursday... they are really good quality with the little divits for water and stuff to collect. they are only like $55 bucks (I got other stuff at the same time so I am not sure)... check 'em out... :twisted:

Ericthenorse Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:08 pm

:D Type "floor mats" in their little search thingie or you will never find them... they are $54 and come in black, grey, and tan.... :twisted:

mjamgb Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:45 pm

Been seriously considering urethane bed-liner. Hose-out simplicity!

Mike!

pocvw Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:51 am

Hi Connie,

I actually went to Wal-Mart and bought two $8 suv heavy duty rubber floor mats. They don't fit perfectly, but I suppose you could make some cuts to have them fit. I really like how they trap the dirt and water! Good luck, yg!

Connie Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:30 pm

pocvw, that's funny that u said that, cuz i have those exact floor mats in my truck that i am trying to sell. you are right, they do trap dirt in a serious way! i was just thinking of getting those for my westie, putting them "upside down" with the fat end up toward the pedals and cutting them to fit. those are really nice thick floormats too. i think i will do that! thanks for the reminder and thanks for the yg. enjoy your westie! ayg, connie.

DanJReed Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:29 pm

Oh yea, you gotta make cuts. No way would they ever fit on their own.

I just used a razor knife and a pair of good sissors to make the cuts.

mightyart Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:27 am

I just happened to stumble on these, I may get a set.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000...n&n=507846

DanJReed Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:46 am

Too bad its ony for the 81's..

:twisted: 8)

(Im kidding..)

They do look nice!

Twinkeeler Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:05 am

You can get the same mats as a 3 piece (2 front and center) through Gowesty.com for a few dollars more.

http://www.gowesty.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scre...de=cc-mats

We are thinking of doing those ones, plus the one in the back. Anyone have any experience with these mats?

Ericthenorse Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:22 am

:D They look just like what I got from Volkscafe.com .. they are prety cool... the picture you have there doesn't do them justice. you need to take them out of the box and lay them out in the sun so they flatten out. You should check volkscafe and see if theirs are the same. I know theirs are copies of a vw factory option, or something. my girlfriend's parents live about 6 blocks from Go Westy, and I just happen to be heading down there this weekend....... I think I will go in and take a few pictures of what they have, if it is different, and do a little product review of both. I am very happy with what I got, and if they both sell the same product, Go Westy is 2 whole dollars cheaper... :twisted:

BeetleBug Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:03 pm

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a few of the commercial type rugs and cut them. You could probably find some cheap stripes of rubber matting somewhere else for even cheaper. Anyway cutting them was easy. It only takes a few minutes.