TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Looking for a mechanic around Sanford/Mount Dora FL
FP1201 Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:22 pm

I am looking for a mechanic or shop EXPERIENCED with 1.9l watercooled Westfalas somewhere in the area of Sanford or Mount Dora Florida.
I'm flying in to pick up a 1983 Westy that will be going on a long trip.
The last few time it was driven it went ~ 45 miles each way without any problems, and has a history of long trips without incident, but it never hurts to have an expert give the once over.
Also, where would you reccomend getting gauges, and where are the sending units/lines best installed?
I am a compentent mechanic, but the limit of exposure to boxer's is my '76 BMW and a Lycoming aircraft engine...lawn mowers don't count.
Advice in any form is well appreacieted!

weinerwagen Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:15 pm

If you dont get a chance to check out with an mechanic, you could do some items yourself. Make sure all the hoses are good quality. You know from your Beemer experience how to determind good water hoses. The belts I would look carefully at. Go to a decent NAPA or other quality store and get a full replacement of belts. If it was a 2.1 you want to buy that plastic water connection junction that sits in front of #2. The 1.9 doesnt have that connection but another cornball setup that SOMETIMES can be an issue with the O ring and the termostate housing atop #3.

Automatics are easy to service. If it has an automatic in it, change the fluid first chance and put synthetic oils in it. The fan sensor sits up front behind the grills. You might want to purchase an lower temp over the factory 195/210 setting if you find that the motor is running warm or up beyond the middle of the gauge setting on the cluster.

They really are simple beasts. Head gaskets are issues which can be a pain, but I've helped many a stranded van owner even when the gaskets are seaping or leaking minimal...

Bring along a set of metric tools. Guages well, your van might have the tach rather than the clock in its cluster, but if not, you can retro it with a later model cluster. They snap right in without any knuckle bleeding...unlike the A-1 and A-2 Jettas

When you get to the van, climb under the engine and look carefully for dripping from the heads towards the block area. It's pretty obvious when they are seaping from the dripping. Other than the basics, you will have a ball....an adventure and surely tell us how things are going and went once you get home. :lol:

Bring a laptop, with wifi, or cell phone connection. Enjoy the trip. Many LOVES Truckstops have free wifi. You can park near larger Hotel/Motels and tap into their wifi connections if issues come up or just to surf... :cry:

mightyart Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:22 am

Buy a bentley manual and stick it in your suitcase,
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0837...s&n=507846
Has the van been sitting or is it driven regularly? If you know your way around an engine than you're fine. Do as weinerwagen sez, and stay on the main roads, so if you have a major breakdown you can get a tow easy. keep your eye on the temp guage. A couple of my favorite guages are, Oil pressure, and Voltmeter. You can add what you like, but they are not essential.